CoinPeople.com

roman coin?

JRSA

Hello. Can anyone identify this coin?

Way too small of a picture to tell but in any event it looks like Vespasian and it looks like this one but there may be others->Wildwinds Link

Vespasian AR Denarius. 70 AD. IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head right / COS ITER TR POT, Aequitas standing left, holding scales & scepter. RSC 94a.

More here -> Another Wildwinds Link

Its an obvious fake of Vespasian, even at this small size its very obviously fake.

I'm curious Drusus, because when I typed my response initially, I said it looked like a copy and I was thinking a cast. Then I actually edited it out those comments because that pic is so small and the details are so vague, I did not want to commit to that opinion (especially with a first time poster). You may in fact be right and you will get no argument from me, but what makes it so obviously a fake? I think it would be educational if you would describe the details that are catching your attention - for me it was more of a 'doesn't look right', but then I don't have much experience with ancients and only own a handful or so.

There are so many things wrong with this coin...and of course how it has been presented. The style of the portrait and obverse text are terrible. This coin type was minted in both gold (which this is without a doubt NOT) and silver (most likely not a silver coin), this coin resembles neither type in the known portrait style for these types and the inscription on the obverse is poor style as well. This coin is completely unconvincing on style alone....but other tale tale signs are all there.

This coin is in FANTASTIC shape obviously...almost like it was minted yesterday (maybe not yesterday but not long ago I am sure). I am not saying that ancient coins dont come down to us in such a shape...I am saying why would such a wonderfull coin in such perfect condition be portographed in such a way...almost like they dont want us to see it clearly. I sometimes wonder if many posts like this are just fishing.

I am positive this coin is neither an authentic aureus or denarius (not sure which it is trying to be with the poor photo color.

Hello again. I'm sorry about the quality of the picture but i´m not an expert in coin's. This coin was found in Sardinia (Italy) and it was under water. I apreciate your coments. I would like to put better pictures but the forum has a very low limit of upload. Thank you all.

Archived