CoinPeople.com

1801 2 Lire, Venice under Austrian Occupation.

elverno

968014.jpg

30.75mm - Details

A scarce coin in any condition so I went ahead and purchased what looked like a sad example. Ok, it *is* a sad example but actually in better condition than I expected. Krause mentions that there are some overstrikes and this is clearly an example. It's one of those overstrikes where enough of the undercoin shows to make the entire thing look awful, but not enough to actually identify the undercoin... sigh. It's easier to see if you click on Details and then click on the obverse, you'll see what I mean.

If anyone knows what these were struck over I'd be interested to know. It sort of looks like an Austrian piece under the obverse. Also the reverse hasn't had its legend buzzed of with a Dremel tool it actually looked like that. Meaning of course that it looked like someone decided at the last minute that they didn't want to bother with a reverse legend.

968014.jpg

30.75mm - Details

A scarce coin in any condition so I went ahead and purchased what looked like a sad example. Ok, it *is* a sad example but actually in better condition than I expected. Krause mentions that there are some overstrikes and this is clearly an example. It's one of those overstrikes where enough of the undercoin shows to make the entire thing look awful, but not enough to actually identify the undercoin... sigh. It's easier to see if you click on Details and then click on the obverse, you'll see what I mean.

If anyone knows what these were struck over I'd be interested to know. It sort of looks like an Austrian piece under the obverse. Also the reverse hasn't had its legend buzzed of with a Dremel tool it actually looked like that. Meaning of course that it looked like someone decided at the last minute that they didn't want to bother with a reverse legend.

Rare example you have there!

I saw only one some years ago, in much lower condition.

These coins were struck over Austrian 24 kreuzer 1800. Your preserved a large portion of the initial coin legend:

24kre.jpg

Very interesting coin. I guess overstriking was a fairly common practice at different times in history.

Oh very nice folks! I'll add the info about the undercoin to the web page. Thanks for the image manipulation and the line scan. Do wither of you have a problem with me adding those to the page as well?

Oh very nice folks! I'll add the info about the undercoin to the web page. Thanks for the image manipulation and the line scan. Do wither of you have a problem with me adding those to the page as well?

No problem!

Archived