CoinPeople.com

Countries of the United Nations

Art

Since my computer was totally destroyed the last time, I no longer have my database of countries of the world for my one coin/one note from each country collection. Alas, I'll have to start over again. To that end I've made a spreadsheet of the countries that are members of the United Nations. I'd be happy to send a copy to anyone who might want to save entering the 100 or so names for a similar collection. PM if you want it.

I have always been more interested in the countries that are around that are not members of the United Nations, there are not many of them, notably Taiwan isn't but was and got the boot in 1970.

That would be an interesting set to create. I'll have to think about ways to find the info. Thanks for the challenge.

kosovo

republic of china

vatican

palestine

Kosovo is not recognised by many countries because of Russia's objections. It is sort of a tit for tat thing for other countries non recognition of Abkhazia and S. Ossetian independence.

Taiwan was shut out of the UN by the membership in 1971 when they admitted the PROC, yet they have N. and S. Korea. They also had N. and S. Yemen and E. and W. Germany prior to 1990.

Vatican, has observer status.

Palestine is represented, sort of, and has observer status. I think it would be difficult to ascertain who is the legitimate government for Palestine, there are competing factions, Hamas and Fatah.

In addition there are S. Ossetia and Abkhazia, both recognised by Russia as independent states, but really they are more Russian puppets than anything else, and in the next five years they will be part of Russia proper.

Kosovo is not recognised by many countries because of Russia's objections. It is sort of a tit for tat thing for other countries non recognition of Abkhazia and S. Ossetian independence.

There is that issue, but the Spanish government for example has different reasons for not recognizing Kosovo. Ah well, not really an issue for coin collectors anyway since Kosovo does not have its own coins. ;)

Taiwan was shut out of the UN by the membership in 1971 when they admitted the PROC, yet they have N. and S. Korea. They also had N. and S. Yemen and E. and W. Germany prior to 1990.

Back in the 1970s, when the PRC got the Chinese UN seat, both countries claimed to represent China, so it could only be the one or the other. (In Taiwan that attitude began to change about 20 years later; in China this still is the official position.) North and South Korea became UN members in the early 1990s because of a de facto mutual recognition. Pretty much the same applied to the two Germanies which were not admitted into the UN until 1973. And the two Yemens were not really an issue anyway since this had not been a unified country before.

As for Vatican, strictly speaking it is the Holy See that has the diplomatic relations, and not the Vatican City State. Does not matter much practically though. :ninja: Collecting coins only from those places that are not UN members sure makes things easier, since the list of such countries is extremely short. Then again, you need to draw a dividing line between, hmm, countries and "countries". See the principalities of Hutt River and Sealand ...

Christian

There is that issue, but the Spanish government for example has different reasons for not recognizing Kosovo. Ah well, not really an issue for coin collectors anyway since Kosovo does not have its own coins. :ninja:

The way the Spanish see it, well just might as well go ahead and recognise Euzkadi, Catalonia, and the ports in Morocco as independent. France could view it as there goes Provence and Brittany. Germany and Poland seem to be the largest countries in Europe that don't have much of or any secessionist movements going on.

Back in the 1970s, when the PRC got the Chinese UN seat, both countries claimed to represent China, so it could only be the one or the other. (In Taiwan that attitude began to change about 20 years later; in China this still is the official position.) North and South Korea became UN members in the early 1990s because of a de facto mutual recognition. Pretty much the same applied to the two Germanies which were not admitted into the UN until 1973. And the two Yemens were not really an issue anyway since this had not been a unified country before.

Barring a war, which of course is quite possible in the next 10-15 years, I see little chance that Taiwan and China will ever become one country again. Frankly, the people ruling Taiwan now are not the old Koumintang of the past that ruled up until a few years ago, they are not even the majority, now Taiwanese are the majority. I surmise there is a greater chance of pragmatists calling the day eventually and the two recognising each other as states. China and Taiwan have much much more trade and visits now going on than they ever have before. Up until about 30 years ago they were still taking pock shots at each others islands, boats, and planes. Now they have direct flights and trade betwixt them.

Curiously when I was visiting the Great Wall north of Beijing back in 2006 we had to wait an hour to climb the wall because the then Taiwanese president, the very guy that advocated Taiwanese independence, was visiting there "unofficially".

I have collected quite a few PROC coins both from my travels there, and from buying here, but Taiwanese coins have never really interested me, they just don't have the interesting coins like the PROC does with pandas, and high quality novelty coins.

Many countries do not recognize Kosovo because they all realize that to do so would be to admit that the UN violated it's own charter. But that is a political issue to be discussed elsewhere.

As is also mentioned, it is a moot point for coin collectors, as long as the EU allows them to continue claiming the euro as their "national currency"

Which countries of the UN do NOT have their own circulating currency or coins?

Think of all the countries that are using the Euro as a currency that are not even EU members, Andorra, Kosovo, Montenegro, etc. Then there is Ecuador, which ditched their currency in favour of the dollar, and is the only place in the world where Sackie bucks circulate, to the extent that they are even being counterfeited in Latin America.

In Europe, both Andorra and Liechtenstein do not really have their "own" coins. Andorra issues diner-denominated collector coins and otherwise uses the euro; Liechtenstein uses the Swiss franc/franken and once in a while issues franken-denominated collector coins. The other two places in Europe that Dave mentioned do (AFAIK) not issue any coins or notes. Here is a handy list of currency units and codes, by the way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4217#Active_codes Now all you need to do is find out which of these countries are not UN members. :ninja:

Christian

In Europe, both Andorra and Liechtenstein do not really have their "own" coins. Andorra issues diner-denominated collector coins and otherwise uses the euro; Liechtenstein uses the Swiss franc/franken and once in a while issues franken-denominated collector coins. The other two places in Europe that Dave mentioned do (AFAIK) not issue any coins or notes. Here is a handy list of currency units and codes, by the way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4217#Active_codes Now all you need to do is find out which of these countries are not UN members. :ninja:

Christian

Most of the then non UN members, Andorra, Monaco, Liechtenstein joined the UN in the 1990's. For awhile there they were paying more of their UN debt than the USA was too. The USA went through some real anti-UN times beginning even in the Clinton administration and didn't pay annual dues.

Taiwan is the most significant place now that is not a part of the UN, and not by choice. They have been campaigning for membership for years, even taking out adverts in USA media to that effect. As long as they cannot settle their issue with PROC, which has a seat on the Security Council, they will never join.

Archived