CoinPeople.com

1888 Newfoundland Gold $2

hiho

That's a beauty, hiho. I have an 1865 $2 that I'd show you, but the pic I took is truly atrocious. ;)

I'm comfortable with atrocious.

Post it here anyway. How bad could it be? :ninja:

Lovely coin I have one graded AU55 by PCGS:

icilqo.jpg

I think your AU55 looks a little better than my AU58. I like them both.

The design on this coin is both simple and eloquent at the same time. A bit pricey considering the low mintages though.

I'm glad I broke down and bought it... :ninja:

I think your AU55 looks a little better than my AU58. I like them both.

The design on this coin is both simple and eloquent at the same time. A bit pricey considering the low mintages though.

I'm glad I broke down and bought it... :ninja:

I don't know I would be happy with either, all three coins displayed are nice examples.

You've done a great job. Looks lovely. I need to take new ones of mine at some point too.

:ninja:

Thanks. ;) I'm still near the bottom of the learning curve when it comes to coin photography, but... look where I started:

915957.jpg

;)

Thanks. ;) I'm still near the bottom of the learning curve when it comes to coin photography, but... look where I started:

915957.jpg

:ninja:

Same here but getting better.

Same coin below:

Before:

2i8ei9s.jpg

After (a couple of years):

9qbmf7.jpg

getting the right lighting angle and a camera stand helps.

I still want to buy a decent camera with a macro lens and a couple of good daylight bulbs.

So bad that I took new pics. ;)

3339320167_2d4d9a81aa_m.jpg3340150228_4d9e376d1c_m.jpg

If the thought "Maybe I should sell my 1865 $2 Gold Newfie to HiHo" ever pops into your head please let me know. Because I LOVE that coin! :ninja:

Regarding camera stands. I use a Kaiser (made in Germany) and can recommend it highly.

If the thought "Maybe I should sell my 1865 $2 Gold Newfie to HiHo" ever pops into your head please let me know. Because I LOVE that coin! :ninja:

Regarding camera stands. I use a Kaiser (made in Germany) and can recommend it highly.

That was an unexpected response. ;) I'm glad you like it, and if I decide it needs a new home, you'll hear from me!

Thanks for the camera stand recommendation. I need all the technological help I can get. Along with lots more practice, of course.

I have a vision of your camera rammed on the spike atop the kneeling Kaiser's helmet and you asking him to move his head up and to the left a bit and keep perfectly still while you take a picture :ninja:

Pic063Kaiser.jpg

I have a vision of your camera rammed on the spike atop the kneeling Kaiser's helmet and you asking him to move his head up and to the left a bit and keep perfectly still while you take a picture :ninja:

Pic063Kaiser.jpg

;)

• 3 months later...

I think that coin is unique in the way it displays 2 different currencies:

100 pence

200 cents / 2 dollars.

I think it's real value was 100 pence, since it weight 3.33 g of 22k gold -> .0980 troy ounce

While its dollar value was 202.6 cents (.9675 troy ounce for 20$).

I guess that the difference was too small (1%) to compensate for the cost of transporting and melting down the coin in the US and taking advantage of the arbitrage profit.

Anyone knows any other coin with multiple currency on it?

Absolutely beautiful coins. This will be on my must have list if I ever win the lottery.

Archived