CoinPeople.com

Magic year?

Mo!

At what year does a coin turn, "OOOh, a lucky find! I'm gonna keep this." as opposed to, "Cool that's kinda old... But I can get double the beef with this! I'm goin to Taco Bell!!!!!"?

Because i literally just now got a 1965 dime in next-to-perfect condition. The only noteworthy thing about it is that the "we" in "In God we trust" is practically nonexistant.

It's a nice find. If I didn't have a space for it in my album or folder, I'd probably toss it in a box that I have that has a bunch of stuff that I don't really have anything to do with but I don't want to spend.

At what year does a coin turn, "OOOh, a lucky find! I'm gonna keep this." as opposed to, "Cool that's kinda old... But I can get double the beef with this! I'm goin to Taco Bell!!!!!"?

The problem with your question is like that old saying "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder"

Or as they say at flea markets "One person's junk is another person's treasure"

If you need, want or just like a coin, then it could well be a OOOH, WOW, great find. If you just sort of like a coin, then it could well be a KIND OF COOL coin.

Many say a coin's value is in the amount minted. Others say the real value is if some expert says it is worth a lot of money. I just think a coin is worth what you think it's worth.

Here are my magic years:

For lincoln cents: 1974

For nickels: 1965

For dimes: 1965

For quarters: 1965

1965 was the first year of clad coins. One of my favorite things about pre-1965 non-cents is the placement of the mint-marks. I love finding even a 1964 nickel and flipping it over to the reverse in hopes of finding a D or S next to Monticello.

thedeadpoint has a nice breakdown.

Cents and nickels -- I keep everyone I get my hands on.

- I'm building some sets with my grandkids and they love to look through a big plastic bin of coins that I have for them to search

- I keep all the "copper" cents that I find for future generations of collectors

Dimes, quarters, halfs --- I generally keep all the silver stuff so I'd use the same dates 1965 being the normal spend it year. (1971 for halfs) But lately I'm seeing a number of special purchase only halfs in rolls from the banks. I keep at least two sets of each date of those. Put one set Littleton folders that I have and the other goes into rolls.

Dollars -- I keep one or two of each mint for each dollar.

I keep all copper pennies, but as for nickels I bring home 1961 and earlier because there are so many spaces in my folder before then I can't keep track of. Dimes and quarters - I keep silver ones but not much else. I try to bring all dollars and halves home to check my folders because again there are so many spaces I can't keep track of them.

However, if something catches my eye - "Wow, that looks exceptionally nice compared to the rest of the stuff in this drawer/handful" - I will usually bring it home and compare it to what I have in my folders.

Archived