CoinPeople.com

Picture Help

How can i take a quality picture of my coins? I have a cheap digital camera and it's been impossible to get a good picture. Any tips?

what editing software are you using ?

are the pictures cropped close to the coin ? if not crop out some background and check the file size, if you can find the editing for size 600x600 should put you within limits , or you can have your photo's hosted offsite for the next 14 posts until you hit 50 and then you can have them hosted here in your own gallery .

try Photobucket , its free and easy to register only takes a couple of minutes .

http://photobucket.com/

Mohammad

There's a lot of stuff on here about coin photography, but you might be better served on some of the photography sites. There has just been a book published about coin photography but I haven't read it or any reviews of it. Was available shortly before Christmas, I think.

I was thinking more along the lines of lighting and camera settings. also what color should the coin be against (ie. black or white.) I know how to get pics online, but i cant get a decent one to post.

• 4 weeks later...

you could always try scanning them. We just use a cheapie scanner and the freebie MS Photo Editor that 's bundled with Office.

Give it 600dpi full colour but only scan a postcard sized part of your platen, then if you need to play about a bit with Brightness and Contrast to get the colour accurate.

We did try with a camera but ours is even cheaper than our scanner and we didn't get anywhere!

you could always try scanning them. We just use a cheapie scanner and the freebie MS Photo Editor that 's bundled with Office.

Give it 600dpi full colour but only scan a postcard sized part of your platen, then if you need to play about a bit with Brightness and Contrast to get the colour accurate.

We did try with a camera but ours is even cheaper than our scanner and we didn't get anywhere!

Thanks

With only a P&S camera and no specialty lighting, you'll never get the conditions right inside for technical reasons that would take too long to explain. Try outside on a bright day but not in direct light. Try from different angles until the light hits just right. You have to work for it but when everything is right you can come up with a spectacular result.

Archived