CoinPeople.com

NGSA sale is over now ...

bobh

Their catalog is certainly in Swiss Francs. Don't know if Igor has done the conversion to USD.

Nope, no conversion. But if you add in the comission, it will be about that in US$.

One more - a medal similar to the one RARENUM posted recently (to the visitor) sold for 13000

Prices realized are online

http://www.ngsa.ch/images/pdf/listerealise.PDF

From what I've seen, prices in the Russian section were very strong. I had to double check my CHF exchange rate. ;)

Thanks, Steve. ;)

Prices are in CHF but can be interpreted as US-$ if you add in the buyer's fee and VAT.

CHF 2,800 seems a little much for lot 1224, a 50 kopek coin (1900, certainly not rare) with an estimate of only CHF 250, advertised as AU, and not a proof ... (I wonder if the bidders knew that? All the other 50 kopek coins, comprising almost a complete Nicholas II set, were proofs). I sent them an e-mail asking about it and they confirmed that it was a business strike.

Thought I might have a chance at it by bidding a measly CHF 600! :ninja:

One more - a medal similar to the one RARENUM posted recently (to the visitor) sold for 13000

I have buy one more medal and year I been missing for my collection from NG SA :ninja: ,correct price 14000.00 Swiss Francs.

On the Auction one Ancient Roman coin lot 233 sold for 2000000.00 SFR I believe it is the record for Ancient coins.

Thanks, Steve. ;)

Prices are in CHF but can be interpreted as US-$ if you add in the buyer's fee and VAT.

CHF 2,800 seems a little much for lot 1224, a 50 kopek coin (1900, certainly not rare) with an estimate of only CHF 250, advertised as AU, and not a proof ... (I wonder if the bidders knew that? All the other 50 kopek coins, comprising almost a complete Nicholas II set, were proofs). I sent them an e-mail asking about it and they confirmed that it was a business strike.

Thought I might have a chance at it by bidding a measly CHF 600! :ninja:

I have seen this coin. It is the business strike with luster and nice toning.

Rarenum.

I have seen this coin. It is the business strike with luster and nice toning.

Rarenum.

Yes ... I was just wondering if the bidders who bid it up to CHF 2800 thought they were bidding on a proof coin? The catalog description isn't explicitly clear about this, and the coin is listed within the section titled "A Collection of Proofs" ("Une collection de flans brunis").

If they had stated this fact more clearly in the catalog, maybe the bidding wouldn't have gone so high. :ninja:

Yes ... I was just wondering if the bidders who bid it up to CHF 2800 thought they were bidding on a proof coin? The catalog description isn't explicitly clear about this, and the coin is listed within the section titled "A Collection of Proofs" ("Une collecton de flans brunis").

If they had stated this fact more clearly in the catalog, maybe the bidding wouldn't have gone so high. :ninja:

Under bidder was bidding for collector on Unc. Coin, not a PROOF ;). I'm not shore about the winner knowledge.

Under bidder was bidding for collector on Unc. Coin, not a PROOF ;).

:ninja:;)

Where will the madness end?? I don't think the coin is UNC ... definitely high-end AU, but I see some wear on the high points (crown, eagle wing tips).

I have buy one more medal and year I been missing for my collection from NG SA ;) ,correct price 14000.00 Swiss Francs.

On the Auction one Ancient Roman coin lot 233 sold for 2000000.00 SFR I believe it is the record for Ancient coins.

Now you have no choice but to buy one in upcoming Markov's auction. :ninja:

On the Auction one Ancient Roman coin lot 233 sold for 2'000'000.00 SFR I believe it is the record for Ancient coins.

Correct ... 2nd highest was lot #85 at CHF 950'000 ... :ninja:

:ninja:;)

Where will the madness end?? I don't think the coin is UNC ... definitely high-end AU, but I see some wear on the high points (crown, eagle wing tips).

I don't know Bob. I assume that the central shield is the highest point of the design, and it didn't look like there was any wear on it, or at least I couldn't see, from the image, that there was wear on it. Admittedly, some of the detail in the crown and wing tips was lacking, but that could be striking weakness rather than wear. One would have to have the coin in hand to observe whether there was any luster in those areas. But if the shield is the highest point, and it does not show any wear, and there is luster on the weak areas, then the graders would have given it an unc designation. Hard to see how the central shield would show no wear but the crown and wing tips would.

Marv Finnley

I don't know Bob. I assume that the central shield is the highest point of the design, and it didn't look like there was any wear on it, or at least I couldn't see, from the image, that there was wear on it. Admittedly, some of the detail in the crown and wing tips was lacking, but that could be striking weakness rather than wear. One would have to have the coin in hand to observe whether there was any luster in those areas. But if the shield is the highest point, and it does not show any wear, and there is luster on the weak areas, then the graders would have given it an unc designation. Hard to see how the central shield would show no wear but the crown and wing tips would.

Marv Finnley

Take a look at the eagle's neck on the left and both of the smaller crowns. If that isn't wear, I would be very surprised. It has no luster on those spots that I can see. I think this one was seriously overgraded, if the information given by RARENUM is correct (there is no mention of any NGC slab in the catalog).

Besides, take a good look at the obverse fields right above and below the head. Don't those look like cleaning scratches? Lots of little marks on the bust, and the bottom of the neck ... what are those?? I also see some rim dings and many hairlines along the rim which could also have been caused by an old cleaning.

Here's a direct link to the images from the NGSA website:

50 kopek 1900, graded MS-64 (???) by NGC

Take a look at the eagle's neck on the left and both of the smaller crowns. If that isn't wear, I would be very surprised. It has no luster on those spots that I can see. I think this one was seriously overgraded, if the information given by RARENUM is correct (there is no mention of any NGC slab in the catalog).

Besides, take a good look at the obverse fields right above and below the head. Don't those look like cleaning scratches? Lots of little marks on the bust, and the bottom of the neck ... what are those?? I also see some rim dings and many hairlines along the rim which could also have been caused by an old cleaning.

Here's a direct link to the images from the NGSA website:

50 kopek 1900, graded MS-64 (???) by NGC

Information is correct; I was in Geneva and review coin personally. I have see bag marks and nice old toning. I have put my note coin possible MS63 (just my personal opinion).

I believe it is some exceptions for MS64 or highest grade(if some body can enter description to forum for NGC MS 64 world grading).I have collect long time and never find perfect coin with no no problem at all.

All the time I have look on coin in the slab, not on the slab. Then you selling coins of 19th and 20th century most of the time it is better sell coin in the slab. This conversation will never end because each collector has own opinion about grading from NGC or PCGS...

Archived