CoinPeople.com

Delcampe

Dave M

Delcampe is far far away from what ebay is. I've signed up there almost a year ago and am constantly checking notes and coins from the countries that interest me. Not a single coin or banknote over the last 10 months. Delcampe is well know among stamp collectors, and yes, there are tons of this stuff. The question is do you need these? ;)

If you are a beginner collector than you may find something interesting and may even buy something, but if you have a collection of 2000 banknotes or more I believe it's not worth the time..

Any other ideas? :ninja:

Delcampe is far far away from what ebay is. I've signed up there almost a year ago and am constantly checking notes and coins from the countries that interest me. Not a single coin or banknote over the last 10 months. Delcampe is well know among stamp collectors, and yes, there are tons of this stuff. The question is do you need these? ;)

If you are a beginner collector than you may find something interesting and may even buy something, but if you have a collection of 2000 banknotes or more I believe it's not worth the time..

Any other ideas? :ninja:

perfectly true... i find delcampe expensive, with a limited offer. ebay is much better than this site

I've used Delcampe a few times. I bought a few notes from a seller in France. The transaction was fine and the process was very easy. you do not need a credit card on file to buy, and you can use Paypal and Moneybookers easily.

But as Lithuania said, they aren't quite up to the standards of EBay I feel. There is a bit of suspicion I have about them with their process of managing disputes should they arise. Though I was able to find a few notes that I wanted from a seller, I haven't found many of the other notes I want. When I do they're in less than desired condition and almost always at a much higher price than I'd like to consider - commensurate with or higher than Ebay, but for poorer note condition.

If you'd like to try it, I'd suggest you make a small purchase from a seller that you'd like to try and see how the process goes. You can review their stats and other information as well to get an idea of what they're like. This is the scariest part for me. IF I find a great deal on a note, and it's somewhat expensive, I'd have to 'hem and haw' over it based on the sellers information as well as how comfortable I feel with the site's dispute resolution capabilities. I've never used any - even on Ebay... I've been very lucky I guess.

Many of them speak English, but if you don't have a rudimentary of another language - probably German, French or Italian would be best - you'll be hard pressed to communicate in certain cases. For me, my 1st-year German is rusty, my Italian is 'getting there' thanks to a very nice immigrant, and my french is a by-product of the "Romance Language's similarities" meaning that, over time, I can decipher a good deal of it in print, but woe unto me in a conversation - It isn't going to happen! But there is a language Flag that will tell you what the seller speaks.

I mainly use it now, with other sites, to check on 'going prices' for certain banknotes before making my purchases.

Good luck!

Thanks very much, folks. It is rather un-nerving to consider these kinds of sources for material, and I appreciate the feedback. What attracted me to Delcampe was this crazy all-dates collection I'm doing, where each note is cheap but I'm having trouble finding them. It appears I've bought out everyone on eBay, who seem to have them in large bundles of the same note. So they're never getting any new ones, and finding "new" dealers seems to be the only solution I can think of. So perhaps I will try a Delcampe dealer or two here, as the notes are cheap and no huge disaster if it doesn't work out.

Dave

I have yet to buy anything from there, I did put a offer in on ten coins but the seller never botherd to respond ;) I might give it another go if I see something nice though :ninja:

Not sure how it fares for high-end notes, but for common notes and coins, I have had a lot of success there. I have bought & sold there off and on for a couple years, never any problem (other than a $3 package to Turkey that went AWOL). Have managed to cherry-pick a few better pieces there, as there wasn't much competition.

Archived