CoinPeople.com

German coinage

JMH2283

Hello all, and sorry if the topic title offended anyone...it just had a nice ring to it. :ninja:

I was wondering if anyone focuses their collections on German coins in this forum. Are there any German collectors that use this site (and is collecting as popular there as it is here?)

My main question: Are there any books in English you all can recommend to me (besides Krause's World Coin Catalog) Something a little more in depth about mintage varieties of different states as well as commemoratives?

Thanks!

To begin with, welcome to the site. Make your self at home, and make some friends!!

There are several here that collect German coins, to some degree or another.

Ætheling collects some Third Reich coinage, although his focus is very specific and narrow. I collect the BRD minors of 1948-1996, all mint marks, 1 pfennig through 10 pfennig. There are a couple here who dabble to some extent into some of the early states issues.

As for German members, Tabbs is German, and a regular, active member.

I don't recall if there are others or not.

For German reference material, I know there is a catalog, in German, that would probably be much more in-depth than Krause. I think it is called Schön, or something similar. Maybe someone with better information can help.

Welcome!!

Scott

There are several here that collect German coins, to some degree or another.

Ætheling collects some Third Reich coinage, although his focus is very specific and narrow.

Yeah very specific indeed, not enough to be of any help to you though because i only have bits of a Krause myself. (Don't ask). :ninja:

But welcome!

For German reference material, I know there is a catalog, in German, that would probably be much more in-depth than Krause.  I think it is called Schön, or something similar.

Right, there is the Schön which is actually a row of catalogs. The "small" one covers Germany, Austria and Switzerland from the late 19c to today. The bigger one has Germany from about 1800; then there are the somewhat more compact 18c and 19c catalogs for Germany, the euro coin catalog, the world coin catalogs (19c, 20-21c) and probably more ... but all in German.

The site that banivechi mentioned also has a somewhat older version of the 20c world catalog online (one PDF file per country). The country alphabet is here: http://www.inkoze.de/index.html?/linkswelt.html These files are from the late 90s, with prices still in DM.

For German coins 1871-today "the" standard is the Jaeger catalog. Very detailed, but also in German. Don't know much about English language catalogs - I have the 2004 SCWC (1990-today), but that is about it ;-)

Christian

Thanks all,

I'll be sure to check out all this stuff. I guess since I don't speak much German I should probably stick to Krause for now or books with lots of pictures. I'm mostly interested in the history of Germany before unification (1600s-1800s) and the coins therein. Appreciate all your comments though.

Christian, is coin collecting popular in Germany?

Christian, is coin collecting popular in Germany?

Oh! Half of catalogues are occupied by German coins... What do you think? Coin collecting is like beer drinking there!

Well, I guess there still are more beer drinkers in DE than coin collectors ;-) But I don't know how popular collecting those old coins (17/18c and such) is over here. After all, that is a very complex matter - lots of countries in what later became Germany, and a plethora of different coins ...

(BTW, what happened to the original subject? Thread-Polizei am Werk? :ninja: )

Christian

I strictly collect German, from the 1700's up to modern coinage(pre-euro) as well as paper money. I had to sell off a lot of stuff a while back, but am now working on re-building. I picked up the coin in my avatar from a coin collection I bought Sunday from someone that came to the flea market I set up at. Can't say what I paid, but it was a super duper deal.

Franz

Now that is a really nice coin. I've seen it before in a catalog, I think. If I ran across it in the states I'd buy it...really neat design.

I collect mostly US coins, but am interested in German stuff too. My family's from there. Peace, JMH2283

Now that is a really nice coin. I've seen it before in a catalog, I think.

That is a 3 mark coin from Prussia (1913) commemorating the "To My People" war appeal of the Prussian king, 100 years earlier, that started the "Liberation War" against Napoleon. I have one too, and it does have an interesting design, considering when it was issued. There is also a 2 mark piece in the same style.

By the way, "our" Anton (akdrv) has a neat collection of pieces from Hanse cities and free cities:

http://www.omnicoin.com/user_view.aspx?id=akdrv

Christian

Wow, those Germans sure knew how to make a nice looking coin, eh? Why am I collecting US coins? I'm going to try to find one of the those Prussian 3 marks and maybe a thaler or two...bet they're not cheap, though. Is Ebay a good resource for these coins?

:ninja:

More about this coin...

The first coin is the proof version of this type...

(110)_1913_3Mark_av_PP_resize.jpg(110)_1913_3Mark_rv_PP_resize.jpg

...the scond is a rare variant (w/o date) of a rare pattern of the same type

(known as "equestrian statue" pattern)

1913_Reiterstandbild_0av_resize.jpg1913_Reiterstandbild_0rv_resize.jpg

1913_Reiterstandbild_rand_resize.jpg

This genuine pattern was made of pure silver (999)...

jeggy

I just joined the forum, but have collected German coins for quite some time.  I collect mainly Brandenburg/Prussia & 3rd Reich.  My oldest Brandenburg coin is from 1503, but most of my coins are from 1600s-1900s. - Preussen

Welcome here!

Archived