CoinPeople.com

Cleaning my coins

Mark Stilson

Got several in process but here are a couple surprises in the crusties.

First Byzantine?

3857f2ae.jpg

90f7cdd8.jpg

Next as this one was getting zapped I started noticing what I thought was a bump.

16f2d910.jpg

29063192.jpg

My luck a holed graffiti coin. ;):ninja: With the other oddball counter stamped coin. Kind of a odd lot. Also can't remember what they are but one of the ones with a big "K" on the back. That one does not look like it is going to turn out very good. (Actually very poor shape.)

I have just found this site and thought I'd add a small bit of info to this thread.

I've been using electrolysis for years to restore blacksmithing tools and found that for me the best solution is 1 tablespoon of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda to 1 gallon of plain old water. I surrounded the item being cleaned with a ring of stainless steel in a large plastic tub suspending the item in the center.

Anyhow, Washing Soda was the thrust of this post. Find it in the laundry soap aisle at the store.

• 2 weeks later...

It has taken longer then I thought working on these. But I'm still cycling thru one coin at a time. No matter what it is a lot faster then soaking. I used a different camera this time. The coins look closer to this then the previous pictures.

16a81840.jpg

the other side

c5965917.jpg

The severus

82757951.jpg

9a1a9222.jpg

This one has been sitting in sometime in mineral oil and sometime in olive oil.

I know right now with the poor group pictures it will be hard, but if any body spots one they recognize I would appreciate a shout out. One of the coins is a Gallienus AE Antoninianus. IMP C P LIC GALLIENVS AVG, radiate, draped, bust right / RESTITVT . ORIENTIS,woman (the Orient) standing right, presenting wreath to Gallienus standing left, holding spear or sceptre, 3.31gram, 20mm. I know a couple constintine's are in there.

Nice votive piece you've got there at the end of the second row!

The Constantius ? I've found several close ones. Just not the same one. That one has some more time to get a good read of the reverse.

The Constantius ? I've found several close ones. Just not the same one. That one has some more time to get a good read of the reverse.

Yeah, I think so. It's relatively much scarcer than the usual 330s AD and later pieces (esp. Constantius II), so the high grade's a nice plus!

Got my big zapper going. Using a bit of duct tape to hold the coins in place. I may end up putting in a couple more slots on this. Not sure will wait to see how it turns out. I may also end up bending a new piece of stainless tubing to fit the container better. I made it then tried to find one that fits. It did turn up a fair fit, but there is room for improvement. The piece coming across is copper tubing. I soldered the wires to the tube. Made the leads going to the coins just long enough to fold up out of the way in case I only have a few in there. The first coin on the left is running a little slower then increases as they go toward the right side. The last two are almost the same on bubbles. When the water gets funky I'll take another shot.

bc16e1ea.jpg

d286d84c.jpg

You can just see the start of bubbles in this shot. Taken just after turning the power on. BTW the coins on the right even if they are directly hung over the stainless they will not touch. It just looks that they may in the picture.

You don't say what current you are passing? (The important value) Perhaps an ammeter in series? ;)

With 3 coins hooked up on the right side its running 41 milliamp at 12 volts. 5 coins all the way across run 52 milliamp at 12 volts. I put a 1/2 amp fuse in line when I built it I could drop that easily. If I switch the charger to 6 volts it only pulls 0.5 milliamps with 3 coins. This thing is way over engineered for the actual draw. But every part of the set up is nice and cool no hot points. I have thought about dropping some extra clips in. Or putting another piece of copper and making a whole new line of clips. Just not sure where this is going next. (Other then I need to get more coins. :ninja: ) My brother is over in the middle east right now and I asked him to check around for me.

Dropped a few more clips in. Now drawing 61 milliamps. I've been rotating them thru soak then zap. The olive oil seems to do best with the zap. Soak in oil for a day then hit the zapper. I just wipe off the olive oil then zap a thin layer of it turns white and wipes off easily. Been swapping them out so there is no monster gains but a nice slow one. I know I'm going to end up making another cross piece and put more clips on. Also another anode.

One thing that did tick me off. The votive had a crack towards the edge and broke when I took it out of the oil and wiped it off. I think the only thing holding it together was the dirt. Just a small section on the edge broke off. The cracked off area is a dark brown so it had been sitting waiting to drop off.

Here is another shot of the Severus.

660d1e4f.jpg

23fff005.jpg

Like I said slow improvement.

A majority of these coins seem to have been in bad soil conditions. Several when they start getting close to metal are showing some pretty good pitting. And no not from the zapper. This was original to the coin.

Got all the green stuff off of this one. That stuff was hard. Going to just let it soak with the others now. No more zapping.

Found out what this was.

Byzantine - FIRST CRUSADE COIN -

Class I Anonymous Byzantine Follis

attributed to the reign Nicephorus III - 24 March 1078 - 4 April 1081

26mm

Reference: Sear 1889.

950739.jpg

Archived