CoinPeople.com

1771 20 Kopek on fleabay.

squirrel

Ebay item:

Sellers name is "coinczarina" which in itself is a hoot. but feedback is zero.

coin looks too nice to be true? In either case (fake or not ) "The coin is guaranteed to be authentic" but "I do not accept returns." :ninja:

I'd be extremely cautious. Obverse doesn't match any of the 13 I've seen. Tip of Catherine's crown points to a different part of the legend, for example.

Steve

Ebay item:

Sellers name is "coinczarina" which in itself is a hoot. but feedback is zero.

coin looks too nice to be true? In either case (fake or not ) "The coin is guaranteed to be authentic" but "I do not accept returns."

On the whole, it looks good. The bust of the Empress matches that on known genuine pieces.

RWJ

Is that a "C" I see stamped onto the edge? :ninja:

I don't see it, but might be looking in the wrong place.

Hutten-Czapski countermarked his coins with a small "C" but (at least on the examples which I have seen) the edge was not the location used for the stamping.

I think bobh is looking at the anomoly on the edge, between the P of "IMP" and ".I.CAMO

i cant make out what it is. perhaps it is where the edge milling started/ended and overlapped a few lines.

The coin just has "not quite right" quality, but i suppose it could just be flat lighting.

The sellers terms are not too comforting.

Hutten-Czapski countermarked his coins with a small "C" but (at least on the examples which I have seen) the edge was not the location used for the stamping.

I was thinking of "C" for "COPY" ... :ninja: ... on the first edge picture, turned upside-down. But if RWJ thinks it's OK, I'm sure it is, too.

I think bobh is looking at the anomoly on the edge, between the P of "IMP" and ".I.CAMO

i cant make out what it is. perhaps it is where the edge milling started/ended and overlapped a few lines.

I doubt it is a "C" counterstamp. The edge milling overlap explanation seems more likely.

Here's an enlarged, cropped & brightened version of the seller's picture.

cad71xh9.gif

The coin just has "not quite right" quality, but i suppose it could just be flat lighting.

The sellers terms are not too comforting.

I agree. The coin might be real, but something about it bothers me as well. Also, the terms, as you point out, are less than reassuring.

Archived