CoinPeople.com

2007 5€

Sir Sisu

945248.jpg

Designer: Reijo Paavilainen

Bimetallic Gn/Cu-Ni, 35mm, 19.8g

Mintage BU 130,000 - Proof 20,000

Obverse: petroglyphs

Reverse: Nine people (9 decades of independence) rowing in unison a traditional "church boat".

Edge: Plain

Commemorates the 90th year of Finland's independence.

Ha, I have about half of that coin. :ninja: On that occasion Finland did not only issue this "regional" collector coin but also a €2 commemorative coin - and that shows, on the obverse, the same "church boat" image which I find quite appealing.

Christian

I wish I could say that I liked the design, but I realise it is designed to appeal to someone else's interests, and not my own :ninja:

I have liked many of the Netherlands and German designs, but not all.

Having participated in some rowing competitions using such a vessel (no easy task for amateurs I must say ;) ), I guess it would appeal to some more than others. Like tabbs, I actually do like that portion of the design as the symbolism is fairly clear as well. What I like most about the coin is the matte finish.

As for some of the other Finn commem designs: some are ehh, some are ok, and some I actually like. But I guess I probably feel the same for modern issues of most nations nowadays.

Maybe the symbolism is deep, but the coin is ugly. 75% of the coin is plain surface. It looks like it was designed by the lazy Romanian's Mint engravers.

Now tell us what you REALLY think about the coin. :ninja:

Maybe this is what is meant by closer cooperation within Europe? ;)

I really don't find the coin "ugly" -a coin would have to be fairly atrocious for me to call it ugly, but I do understand your point. I find the coin -primarily the obverse- to be very boring. And exactly because of the reason you mentioned, lots of plain surface. Although plain surfaces are not always bad. If you remember the Swedish coin I picked up the other year; now that design makes laziness an artform. ;)

I do think it would have been better if they had not used the €2 design and of course something compleatly different on the other side, other than that its a nice coin :ninja:

The Finnish mint actually issued three coins on that occasion, with two different designs. The second design, so to say, was used for the €100 gold coin http://www.rahapaja.fi/en/documents/2232/S...land90_100E.JPG ... but the reverse looks much like Miró or Tinguely: Nice, but IMO it does not "say" 90 Years Independence to me. :ninja:

And no, I don't have any problems with coins that have a lot of "empty" space. (Design wise, that is - as a collector I don't want a coin to "attract" scratches.) Sir Sisu mentioned that interesting Swedish coin; here is one from Latvia http://www.bank.lv/eng/main/all/lvnaud/jub...foreign_rulers/ that I bought a while ago. Austrian coins on the other hand are often very "full", as if the designers suffered from horror vacui ...

Christian

Archived