CoinPeople.com

Realism or dreaming?

chappyjr81

Hey everyone, Chad here...I am wondering something to myself as I still continue to collect my silver eagles. Realistically, if I had ever silver eagle in an album, and I am including the 1995-W as well, in the long run would people actually buy this whole collection? I am still new to the coin collecting and this is by far my absolute favorite coin I have encountered (within my buget of course)... I want to actually own every silver eagle, including the 1995-W set, 20th anniversary set, ms-69 and 70 and the pf-69 and 70's as well. I literally mean every type of silver eagle. I of course will cherrish this set for many years and would not just up and sell it once I reach completion, I just simply want to know if I am dreaming that there are people out there who would actually buy the whole set when that time came? Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog, hope all is well with everyone.

Godspeed

Chad

ASE's in Unc will move more in line with the price of silver than anything else. They are quite common, even in high grades. BUT as the dollar falls or "adjusts downward" as they say, the value of silver will hold or increase. Proof ASEs are a different story. There's a lot of demand for them right now and they are beautiful coins. I would guess that only the true PF70s will really take a jump in value in the near future. Just my opinion.

I do agree that they are one of the most beautiful of the US coins.

I hate to always be the guy that knocks the American eagles... I like the coin itself, I really do... but the ms69 and 70 stuff that the major grading companies have been pulling out of the air the last few years... its just not good for the hobby... If you can buy the coins for silver... or a few bucks over it because they are in the slab... go for it... because thats what they are worth to guys like me. Any more then that id pass...except on the better dates like the 96.... I know of a major major dealer here in my area that sends in tens of thousands (maybe more) of silver eagles every year to the major grading companies. I picked his brain one day about that... and basically the coins come back in proportions... so many 70's per coins you send in... so many 69's.. and so on... but he spends lotsa money with the companies.. so thats fair right?

I would go with Dreaming a little.

The TPG's are rolling out more and more 70's. Initially it was only a handful. Now it more than likely numbers in the thousands. Most mint products that you buy from the US mint will be a 69. So why spend an extra $100 or $200+ to go from a 69 to a 70 grade. My eyes sure can't tell the difference. And I doubt too many collectors can tell the difference. The only way everyone knows the difference is that the TPG's holder said so :ninja:

I wouldn't waste the money on 70's. The money you save will help you buy more coins!!!

Right now on ebay there is a complete set (1986-2008--23 coins) of NGC graded MS69's for $789 and proof 69's for $1395.

It's really a crap shoot on whether you could sell them at a later date and make money. If silver tanks again and goes back down to $5/ounce I would bet you couldn't break even. If silver continues to climb you might be able to flip them and make a profit. If you have the disposable income and don't mind the risk then go for it. To me there are better things that you can almost bet on to go up in value. Key date coins of most series of coins are one.

But in the end it is entirely up to you. It's your money, time and hopefully enjoyment of collecting

I wouldn't waste the money on 70's. The money you save will help you buy more coins!!!

Agreed and I don't think I would slab an SAE or pay the additional slabbing charge on the price.

But, I will say that someday I do want to own an MS70 coin and a PF70 coin slabbed by a top shelf mortuary. My best or only chance is a modern. The illusion of perfection is compelling.

Archived