CoinPeople.com

Fake Gangut rouble...

bobh

A definite fake. On the genuine the center tail feather points directly at the letter A of MOHETA.

This one points slightly to the right.

I notified the seller but he ignored the message.

RWJ

I reported this one, and also the 1908 ten rouble coin once again, to eBay. Here is the message I wrote:

These are well-known counterfeits and therefore in violation of eBay's listing policies. Several people have already reported these items, including experts and lifetime members of the ANA. Now, when are you going to do something about it??? The fact that eBay is VERY SLOW to react to these complaints is VERY DISCOURAGING to those who take the time and trouble to do so. You state on the eBay website that you are working together with the ANA to do something about cleaning up eBay and getting rid of the sellers of obviously counterfeit material. What kind if impression does it make when ANA members report these things to you, but eBay does absolutely nothing? I feel that you owe it to everyone to ensure that your statements are not just empty words, but are followed by actions. Thank you.

We'll see if this does any good ... I'm not very hopeful, though. :ninja:

Eight hours left and it is up to more than $100 now ... about $99.95 more than it is worth! :ninja:

Did anyone else report it to eBay? I noticed that the seller of the 1908 fake 10 rouble gold coin has ended the auction with no bids; maybe he got scared. Please report this one ... if a lot of people write to eBay, maybe there is a chance that someone will be able to save their money here.

LINK: Report eBay Coin Listing Violation

<I noticed that the seller of the 1908 fake 10 rouble gold coin has ended the auction with no bids; maybe he got scared.

he was not scared. The starting bid was too high. If he could start from 0.99 perhaps he could get any bids, but it does not matter. I think that guy, imperialrussia, really beleives that this fake coin is unique :ninja:

Eight hours left and it is up to more than $100 now ... about $99.95 more than it is worth! :ninja:

Did anyone else report it to eBay? I noticed that the seller of the 1908 fake 10 rouble gold coin has ended the auction with no bids; maybe he got scared. Please report this one ... if a lot of people write to eBay, maybe there is a chance that someone will be able to save their money here.

LINK: Report eBay Coin Listing Violation

Been there done that and feel like I wasted my time too. I understand they are busy, but when many people report the same thing, they still ignore it.

A couple of days after the first posting and reporting of this fake to eBay, I sent them an enquiry about why this item was still active when they had received several notifications from very knowledgeable eBay and ANA members that this item was a known counterfeit.

This was the reply I received:

Dear eBay Member,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to a suspicious coin listing.

Because eBay does not employ or train its Trust & Safety Customer

Support Representatives to be experts in the area of coins and currency,

we rely on expert opinions from knowledgeable people as well as reliable

third party organizations, such as the American Numismatic Association

(ANA).

Your report will be reviewed by a group of members that comprise a

community watch group for coin auctions. They then confer amongst

themselves and either agree or disagree that the listings are

problematic. They then forward that information to the ANA for review.

The ANA can then agree or disagree after careful consideration. If they

agree, they then contact the seller directly. Sellers are then afforded

24 hours in which to revise or cancel the auctions. If they fail to do

so, eBay must cancel the auction.

Please be sure to check our Prohibited, Questionable & Infringing Items

pages for information on eBay listing policies and guidelines:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/items-ov.html

If you received an informational alert or warning, and you have

additional questions, or you have another listing to report, please

contact us at the following link:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/select-RS.html

In order for us to get to you in a timely manner, please do not respond

to this email. If you reply to this message we will not receive your

email. All communications should be sent to the link provided above.

Again, thank you for your report. We appreciate your help in keeping

eBay a safe and reputable forum to conduct business.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

eBay Customer Support

No wonder there has been so little response. By the time they get around to doing something about a report the listing is long sold and gone.

I've got the same reply.

I have gotten nothing except the bland response that my message had been received,

with one exception:

I notified eBay about a 1749 Moscow ruble from China being fake and nothing happened.

The auction lot number was provided. No surprise as that is their usual non-response.

I then notified eBay that all rubles dated 1727–1729, 1747–1749, and 1752 from China were fakes.

This time I got a “real” answer: they would not do anything because I had not provided numbers

for the auction lots!

Maybe “eBay” could be made an alternate spelling for “dishonest” in English.

RWJ

I think that eBay prefers to have the actions end successfully, receive their cut, and then act if the buyer catches on and complains. I would be interested in communicating with the "group of members that comprise a

community watch group for coin auctions". It would be useful to invite one of them to this forum.

I think that eBay prefers to have the actions end successfully, receive their cut, and then act if the buyer catches on and complains. I would be interested in communicating with the "group of members that comprise a

community watch group for coin auctions". It would be useful to invite one of them to this forum.

Do you think this group of people really exists? Sometimes I have my doubts.

Archived