CoinPeople.com

Counterfeit Chinese coin?!

gxseries

Hum... something VERY odd that I found, sorry I can't put any pictures at the moment... my scanner decided to be nasty at the moment... but anyways,

The story is as following: Chinese 1995 1 yuan counterfeit coin. If you wondered how much is 1 yuan, it is just a miserable 12 US cents... who on earth would want to counterfeit such coin.

Nevertheless, the only reason I found it is because I noticed the different alloy at first (probably alunimum alloy), and then the thickness of the planchet, which happens to be slightly thinner than the rest of the chinese 1 yuan coin. At close look, the details seem pretty horribly off and which I assume that it is a counterfeit coin.

Pretty interesting really... I haven't expected to find such counterfeit coin... not that I am horribly upset, but instead, I am quite amused.

Speaking of which... I am quite interested in getting hold of a counterfeit Japanese 500 yen coin for quite some time...

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/print/news/...n20050204a1.htm

Poor little Japan's coin have been hit hard... http://web-japan.org/trends00/honbun/tj001106.html is one of the main reasons why the 500 yen coin was redesigned...

I have a fake $10 mexican bimetallic coin, it looks very similar to the original, but the eagle and the letters are more thick. I had another, but I mixed it with other original ones and paid something without knowing it...

The small stores usually get many every day, but they give them again as change as they seem almost identical to the real ones.

I wish I could post a picture of it, but I don't have a scanner :ninja:

I have a fake $10 mexican bimetallic coin, it looks very similar to the original, but the eagle and the letters are more thick. I had another, but I mixed it with other original ones and paid something without knowing it...

The small stores usually get many every day, but they give them again as change as they seem almost identical to the real ones.

I wish I could post a picture of it, but I don't have a scanner :ninja:

Are you sure it isn't a different type? I have a 2001 for example, and I note that the reeding and brass alloy is different.

No, this one is the common design from 2002, those 2000 and 2001 are commemoratives, the ring brass has a brownish tone and it seems that the center has just a thin layer of alpaca (65%cu, 10%ni, 25 zn), because in some parts it has disappeared from the surface leaving just the nickel.