CoinPeople.com

A nice way to end the old year and begin the new...

bobh

Congrats!!! Great coin!

AUGSBURGER is a solid dealer, so you've got the good stuff:)

Thanks, alexbq2! :ninja:

Yes, I have bought from them on various occasions and have never been disappointed. His coins invariably look better than the pictures he puts in the auction, once you can hold them in hand. Of course, 1908 is such a scarce year that it doesn't matter so much with these pictures. But i found it interesting that there seems to be a little more detail on the obverse of this coin than on the reverse ... usually it is the reverse that has more detail.

Anyway, I am looking forward to receiving the coin, and will post pictures of my own once I have received it.

It's now mine, folks:

50 kopeek, 1908

;):ninja:

I'll have to sell a few of my gold Swiss Vreneli, though ... but I was never that attached to them, anyway. ;)

Interesting scan effect that I have occasioned with my Russian silver when I scan them, showing the lettered edges on the coin created by placing them on one side of the scanner glass. And a neat coin to boot, congrats. And PM'ed 'bout the Swiss Misses.

sssr501924.jpg

Interesting scan effect that I have occasioned with my Russian silver when I scan them, showing the lettered edges on the coin created by placing them on one side of the scanner glass.

Very clever, showing the edges like that! :ninja:

And a neat coin to boot, congrats.

Thanks! ;)

For those who think I paid too much for this one, here are some recent 50 kopeek prices:

RUSSIA - 1914 BC - 50 K. in a PCGS holder, MS-61 (sold for US $577 :ninja: )

50 Kopeken 1909 (sold for EUR 506, approx. US $745)

and here are some recent not-so-rare, but higher grade rouble auctions:

RUSSIA 1843-SPB Rouble. Uzd. 1614, KM C#168.1 NGC MS-62 (sold for US $1,277)

Russia Ruble 1844, UNC (but harshly cleaned, sold for US $621)

Of course, it is always nice to win really rare coins cheaply. I was taught my lesson when I sent a mail bid too low on a 1906 (REALLY RARE) 50 kopeek piece sold in the recent Aurea auction in Prague; it hurts to have someone win just because they bid $20 more than you did (who knows, maybe the maximum bid was much higher??) The 1908 poltina is scarce enough to warrant paying a higher price than some catalogues might list for this grade (I would say VF+, maybe even XF); after all, I might not see another one for years, or even decades! All the nice stuff is being bought by Russians and taken back to their country, perhaps never to be seen in a European or American auction again.

It is always a consolation for me when I look at my avatar coin (1914 poltina, 2nd obverse). It is the same type as the slabbed one in the above link, but I think mine is much better. What do you think I paid for it (bought in 2005, BTW)? And what would it sell for today? Everything is relative, and things tend to even out in the long run. ;)

I kick myself for letting my Russian gold collection back in 2001 when we traveled to Ukraine. Fifteen or so years ago when I bought them all, the 7 1/2 and 15 Ruble coins were not that pricey over spot. Now they are ridiculous. Prices of Russian material have skyrocketed, mainly due to Russian collectors that can legally collect and afford these coins. I think the same will happen with Chinese and Indian coins in the next few years. Fortunately most of my Russian bronze and silver still exists from my earlier collecting days, including buying some in the blossoming Russian market. I really want to upgrade my Poltina and Ruble coins, but they will be pricey.

I like guessing:) Did you pay about 200-300 US in 2005, and now should be able to get 800-1000 US?

I really don't know what I would get today if I sold it ... but I didn't pay anything near that much! ;)

More guesses, anyone? :ninja:

For those who think I paid too much for this one, here are some recent 50 kopeek prices:

"Cheap" and "expensive" are concepts relative to the prevailing price today. I have a USR HST Dual Standard modem which was once the fastest thing on the dialup market. I probably could not give it away for free today but it was "cheap" when I bought it many years ago at nearly $1000. And I have coins for which I paid "ridiculously high" (i.e. expensive) prices at the time, but which now look like they were ridiculously cheap.

The 1908 poltina is scarce enough to warrant paying a higher price than some catalogues might list for this grade (I would say VF+, maybe even XF); after all, I might not see another one for years, or even decades! All the nice stuff is being bought by Russians and taken back to their country, perhaps never to be seen in a European or American auction again.

The supply of nice coins is much tighter today and the competition for them is much greater. I think you are right. The good stuff is all headed back to Russia and once there, it's unlikely to reappear here.

I doubt you will regret adding the 1908 poltina to your collection. As someone (Dave Bowers?) once observed, sometimes having the opportunity to buy the coin is far more significant than the price ultimately paid.

Congratulations on your new acquisition!

• 1 month later...
No Way!!! :ninja:

Was it insured? Switzerland of all places?!

I paid for insured shipment; whether or not the seller actually bought the insurance is beyond my realm of knowledge at the moment. At present, I am operating under the assumption that the seller will reimburse me for the full amount paid.

Lost in the mail! ;) ;) :ninja:

Seller provided a tracking number; it got to Switzerland and just disappeared!

Read about it here:

1908 50 kopeek

I'm offering a reward of $100.

I'm very surprised and sorry to hear this and I hope your coin is recovered quickly. I always thought of the Swiss postal service as very safe. ;)

I paid for insured shipment; whether or not the seller actually bought the insurance is beyond my realm of knowledge at the moment. At present, I am operating under the assumption that the seller will reimburse me for the full amount paid.

I suppose it could have been worse ... the recent $160M art robbery took place about four blocks from where I live! :ninja:

:ninja: My condolences, Bob. Tough blow. Keep you fingers crossed, it might turn up one day.

I don't really know but I don't see how they could have lost a registered letter going between Germany and Switzerland. They probably have it lying around somewhere, and chances are it'll turn up some day.

I bought a book (Zaitzev, Coinage Vasilii III and Ivan III) over the holidays, and went on vacation. When I came back I checked the tracking number, and the package was in "delivered" status. I went to the post office and complained that I never got it. They, of course, claimed that it was delivered. So I thought it was stolen or lost.

About 5 days later, I find it lying in front of my door. Guess they found it!

Hope your story has a happy ending as well!

Last year I bought a coin from UK dealer, which I received after 5 months :ninja:

I surely thought I would never see it, but imagine my surprise after 5 months. The letter had a stamp that it was mailed 5 months ago. I guess it dropped somewhere in the post office and they eventually found it.

Hope yours will show up as well

Archived