CoinPeople.com

1830 Rouble - Strangle Font of the year

IlyaE

Ilya, they are completely two different types if you noticed. For instance on the right arm of the double head eagle, it seems that it's holding some sort of "ring" and if you look at the centre Moscow emblem, the first one you see is stops at the double head eagle and yours go towards the crown. I think it's two different designs here.

Ohh, thanks, I didn't realize there are so many differences between these type. I guess it's an original coin, just cleaned.

Severin lists 13 varieties of the 1830 rouble, all struck at St. Petersburg.

Sev-2956-62 are the type of 1826-1829 with short ribbons under the eagle. The bulk of the varieties are in the number and placement of the berries amongst the laurel clusters. Sev-2956 has a large "2" before ДОЛЯ and Sev-2957 has a small "2" before ДОЛЯ.

Sev-2963-68 are the type of 1831 with long ribbons below the eagle. There are numerous berry/laurel cluster varieties, large and small "2" before ДОЛЯ and the presence or absence of a dot after ЭОЛОТН.

I agree that the coin shown looks odd, but I think that is probably because of the cleaning (polishing?) to which it has been subjected.

Severin lists 13 varieties of the 1830 rouble, all struck at St. Petersburg.

Sev-2956-62 are the type of 1826-1829 with short ribbons under the eagle. The bulk of the varieties are in the number and placement of the berries amongst the laurel clusters. Sev-2956 has a large "2" before ДОЛЯ and Sev-2957 has a small "2" before ДОЛЯ.

Sev-2963-68 are the type of 1831 with long ribbons below the eagle. There are numerous berry/laurel cluster varieties, large and small "2" before ДОЛЯ and the presence or absence of a dot after ЭОЛОТН.

I agree that the coin shown looks odd, but I think that is probably because of the cleaning (polishing?) to which it has been subjected.

I also think the coin looks a bit odd, even for the long ribbon variety. For one thing, and I've seen other examples of this, the central spike of the shield does not usually extend to the crown on the long ribbon variety; but on some of this variety, perhaps transitional, I've seen, there is a vestige of the extended spike as on this coin. Also, the zero in the date looks a bit more rounded than on other 1830's. There is also something that looks like a die break extending from the ribbon down to the 8 in the date. That might be a real die break or something created by a counterfeiter. Can't see the coin clearly. I've attached my 1826 as an example of the short ribbon variety.

1826MS67O.JPG

Archived