CoinPeople.com

Money Show of the Southwest - Houston

Mark Stilson

I picked up some nice bargain bin deals there and half offs...most of the dealers were cool and rounded down.

I ended up with a few notgeld (there was only one guy who happened to have a book of them he bought) like the AACHEN 1 Grosche, city of danzig 10 pf coin, I got my 5 rupees from ceylon (only 2 or 3 people selling that one), I got a great Belgium 5 Fr. coin with Leopold II on it, I got an Italian 10 centesimi coin with Umberto I, and one 10 centesimi of Vittorio Emmanuelle II, A perfectly toned 10 Piastres from Egypt (1939), A swedish WWII Iron 5 Ore was a nice find in a book of half off coins... and a few others...all in all I didnt spend over 100 USD.

it was my first outing with my little baby and everyone was nice to her and she got her first coin (the state quarter they gave out at the door). It was a nice show all in all...so many morgans!!! Lot of US coin dealers, not near as many world coin dealers but between them they had most of the bases covered.

Lot of nice people there, dealers were all very nice...glad I went.

I had a lovely time at the show, got some excellent bargains, met two wonderful CoinPeople; but at the same time the show felt a little sparse.

Picked up 5 Aussie Predecimal coins for my date set at a steal. The dealer had just acquired a large batch and didn't want to sort through all of them, so I walked with these five at 2 dollars a piece. One of them was worth about 50. I don't know if I should be happy or feel guilty!

Also got 15 of the Isle of Man cat crowns in Cu-Ni. A beautiful set I've always wanted, and now have -almost- completed. Still need 1994, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2006. Oh, and 2008.

Picked up the 08 Kookaburra 1oz, it's beautiful as is expected from the Aussie bullion series. I saw literally millions of dollars worth of American gold, and probably tens of thousands in Mexican, but finding world bullion was unexpectedly difficult. Even Canadian Maples seemed to have fallen off the branches.

Finished the rounds, picked up a few more odds and ends. Got a nice Charles IIII 8 Reales of Spain with chopmarks on it for $30. I'm happy with it, and I'm sure it'll be in my Omnicoins gallery before the end of the day. :ninja: As will most of the rest of the things I picked up.

I had a brilliant time. Amusingly, I met both Mark and Cap'n on the floor. They were easily recognisable from their descriptions given above. I don't know what they thought about the strange lady walking up and asking them who they were, though. I was lovely to spend the half hour or so chatting together, and hope to meet more Coin Collectors at shows in the future.

My general opinion of the show was a disappointment. The crowd was small. I didn't run into or get run over by anyone. The deals that I found were utterly spectacular, but many of the dealers were packing up or had packed up because of the end of the Heritage Auction. The inventory wasn't available in World Coins. There were few dealers who had more than just the general run of the mill average common items. Mexico was extremely well represented, as well as four lovely dealers in ancients. I ended up doing business with the same dealers that come to the shows in San Antonio, anyway.

Archived