CoinPeople.com

Gold Coins

Dads Stuff

It is finally time to sell Dad’s gold coins. They are the MCMLXXXVI (1986) year. I know there are at least one each of the $50, $25, $10 & $5 and $50 proof coins. A friend member of the coin club my dad belonged to is interested in the coins. However, I have no idea what they are worth. When I check the price through Ebay completed auctions, the range is so great that it confuses me. I don’t know how to figure in the “nut” factor that is evident at Ebay. For example, the 1986 $5 gold coin sold for $149.86 on 10/08/07 and for $76 on 10/07/07. What’s up with that?

Anyway, I know the guy uses grey sheet so I feel like I’m at a disadvantage. Can anyone help me with the value of these coins?

Thanks,

Linda

You'll have to wait for one of the "Gold folks" to give you an accurate picture on these. Gold close at Kitco was $763.60. As far as I know 1986 Gold Eagles are traded pretty much at bullion prices unless they're slabbed or such.

The coins are 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/10 oz. There was a dealer here in Ocala that was paying Kitco spot last week but that was probably because of the rapid rise in gold prices.

Good luck with them.

Well, right now gold is at $764, so at a minimum you should expect the melt value on the coins:

$5 = $76.40

$10 = $191.00

$25 = $382.00

$50 = $764.00

Kitco right now is buying 1 oz. eagles for $761 and selling them for $807 so you can get an idea for the spread on generic coins. The 1986 are likely worth a slight premium being the first year of issue. The proofs will also be worth more as well. If he is going on gray sheet, be careful since the price of gold has been moving up about $10 a week lately, so those prices are likely out of date before they are mailed! Sorry I could offer more specifics, but I hope this helps.

Thanks guys, this is just what I was looking for. I met with the guy yesterday about buying it. It was a disappointment from my perspective. I showed him the 4 pieces (one each denom) that are in a plastic display case. I heard several different excuses. They began with:

Now is not the time to be buying gold. The market is too unstable. If I buy it now, I'll lose money on it if I sell it.

Then he told me the four pieces were only worth $1300 not including penalty he would have to deduct for it being 1986 bullion. Thats when I started picking up my coins getting ready to leave.

At that point he told me he had all the 1986 bullion he needed.

So, it looks like I'll be trying to sell it else where.

Archived