CoinPeople.com

Help reqired with coins in my collection

dooly

Hi all ..

This is my first post over hear and i would like some opinions on two of my Russian coins i have in my collection:

the first is a silver which i have been unable to identify

ABB.jpg

ab.jpg

and the second is one i would like the current value for insurance purpose it is NGC graded MS-65 BN

wc10ko.jpg

wc10kr.jpg

thanks very much dooly :ninja:

First coin is a silver 20 kopek, 1764 or 74, St Petersburg Mint. The Portrait is Catherine the 2nd, also known as Catherine the great. If its a 64, its pretty darn rare.

The second is either a Pattern, (Brekke says only 25 were minted!) or Novodel of the Pattern. Some auction research will lead to "value" if one has sold recently.

http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.ph...56&Lot=1200

nice coins! what else ya got?

First coin is a silver 20 kopek, 1764 or 74, St Petersburg Mint. The Portrait is Catherine the 2nd, also known as Catherine the great. If its a 64, its pretty darn rare.

The second is either a Pattern, (Brekke says only 25 were minted!) or Novodel of the Pattern. Some auction research will lead to "value" if one has sold recently.

Cheers for the information Squirrel the silver has been bugging me for a while from the coin i would guess it was the 74 but its not clear

i was a little unfair with the 10K hear is it's full title

wc10kb.jpg

As for what else ya got Well some pretty nice bits and bobs i have found in job lots over the years .. i actually collect USA coins myself and these coins are just by products i could not resist keeping

cheers again dooly :ninja:

http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.ph...56&Lot=1200

It is not clear how to distinguish an 1830 spb pattern from a novodel (distinction is much clearer with 1, 2 and 5 kop.). However, there is a strong view that all patterns were proof strikes. Thus, if this is a regular strike, then it must be a novodel. There were, however, novodels struck as proof, which makes the distinction even more convoluted. There are two distinct variations: pointed tail and round tail. I believe that pointed tail in proof appears very rarely, thus hinting to the conclusion that a pointed tail 10 kop 1830 spb is probably a true pattern. (Or, at least some of them :ninja: )

Archived