CoinPeople.com

2007 mint set help

dustin43160

hi have a few questions about the 2007 mint sets. would it be worth buying it now or will they drop in price later this year and early next year? on the mint set coins are they really uncirculated?? or are they just thrown in a bag like the circulation peices and then slapped in a mint set folder?

thanks in advance

dustin

Supposedly the coins are specially prepared for the Mint Sets - satin finish. But they are minted at circulation coin pressures using standard production dies. At least that's what I've gleaned about the new process. On something like this price fluctuations are always a "crap shoot". Depends on the interest of the general public rather than just collectors.

If you purchase a thing called the Red Book published by Whitman Publishing go to pages 323 and up. There are listings of Proof and Uncirculated sets with the issue prices and the present values. You would notice some have gone up dramatically in value, some not so much and some down.

I myself purchase many sets each year for Christmas Presents so I don't worry about the future value of any of them. If you are worried about the possible few dollars up or down, best not purchase them. If they go up in price, you'll be sorry later.

An old saying is "He who hessitates is lost"

Or just smart.

• 2 weeks later...

I take it the Mint Sets for 2007 are satin finish again like 2005 and 2006?

Between the Pres dollars and the satin finish on the mint sets, the mint has really killed off my 1900 to present, business strike set. :ninja:

I take it the Mint Sets for 2007 are satin finish again like 2005 and 2006?

Between the Pres dollars and the satin finish on the mint sets, the mint has really killed off my 1900 to present, business strike set. :ninja:

I know the feeling. I just use the Mint sets for my circulation coins anyway. I'm collecting for fun - not for hastles.

I've got an extra mint set put away because of the things that you mentioned - but only one.

I recieved the 2007 presidential proof set and was well pleased with the luster. I must admit I am new to coin collecting but I learn fast. I know that in this hobby there is so much to learn. My next purchase is the wifes of the 2007 president's not the gold ones but the same make as the president dollors. Maybe my dollors don't shine as much as those in the past but I like them anyway.

It is my own fault really, I guess. I think I am too obsessive compulsive to just add the satin finishes to my business strike set. ;)

You could always polish them.... :ninja:;)

I recieved the 2007 presidential proof set and was well pleased with the luster. I must admit I am new to coin collecting but I learn fast. I know that in this hobby there is so much to learn. My next purchase is the wifes of the 2007 president's not the gold ones but the same make as the president dollors. Maybe my dollors don't shine as much as those in the past but I like them anyway.

I actually just got my TJ Liberty medal the other day and it looks really nice! Much nicer than the dollars in my opinion.

Hi Dustin,

You know me, I have bought all kinds of bu rolls, single uncirc, silver proofs, regular uncirc mint sets, and the plain uncirc mint sets.

Of the rolls I usually find a few coins in each roll that will suffice for albums, but not always. Some rolls are badly tainted with carbon or water spots, not to mention dings. Yet I find these are the ones where I am most likely to find the error coins.

The next step up is the mint uncirc, the kind in the sealed packets. These are the ones that are in much better condition than bu coins. Although I have found some dings and problems with a few of the coins, and on occasion a fun 'error'. These are the coins I am using to fill in spots for my own special Lincolns, and the other albums.

The regular Mint sets are usually quite nice and for the most part make a great addition to your coin album. That is if you really want to break them apart for an album. Most people would say to not do this, but I am of an opinion that if I want to use the coins in a special album I will.

The silver proof sets are something I get to put away for my grandkids. I have never opened a set of them.

As for prices, the Redbook is the best resource for that. Or, if there is a coin store around, they might print a page out for you that have their current prices.

Right now the Lincoln is much hotter than a few months ago when I started my crazy collection. The prices have soared and are sometimes getting beyond what I think is fair.

The regular uncirc mint sets do not seem to go up in value very fast, and sometimes lose value. It all has to do with how many were minted and whether or not someone needs them. However, don't believe these sets are at all flawless. I have found many nicks and dings, but for the most part these are the coins I am using in my coin albums, providing they meet my criteria.

The silver proof sets go up in value better than all of the others, except for the silver and gold bullion. Yet, I have found many coins in them that I would not consider the best quality. Sometimes they are spotty, have a bit of lamination problems, occasional tiny scratches, and other problems that I think do not qualify them as a good enough for investment. These get bundled back up and returned to the mint and replacements are sent back. Most, but not all, of these sets seem to increase in value over time.

Over the past few months, and after sampling everything I am collecting that the mint has to offer, I can say that for the most part, the value of the product all boils down to how valuable it is to you when you need it.

As far as the finer sets of coins, it is still a bit of a gamble, because I find that some have barely gone up in price and a few have gone up more, but now as much as one would hope. Of course, you have a lot more years ahead of you than I when it comes to saving for the future.

I really think you might want to get into a different coinage to see them increase in value better than our own mint sets. Check with all the cp folks and see what they think is the most likely coin series that will likely increase in value as the years go by. A few dollars for a nice old coin now, could mean multi-few dollars later on.

Sometimes we don't really care what prices are because we want the coin and nothing is going to stop us from possessing it. Of course, I don't have that problem... :ninja:

Corky

Archived