CoinPeople.com

Oxidation removal on steel cents

Vfox

I have a Unc roll of 43-D and 43-S steel cents in part of a collection I am selling for a friend, and decided to buy these two rolls from him. Well, I may change my mind because I took them out today, and most of the coins are covered in gray and white corrosion, the coins are uncs, but over half of them are like this. Does anyone know a way to remove that grime, or is it basically stuck on the coin, and they are basically ruined? I don't really know of any way to combat this sort of corrosion on the zinc plated steel.

If you treat them, they are cleaned. This is the lousy part of two metals that were not ever intended to be together on coinage, zinc is absolutely one of the worst metals ever used on coins. My daughter owns a 1943-S in MS-65 that is one of the nicest I have ever seen, but I have lots of miserable ones. My suggestion, leave them be.

Yeah, I figured there is little I can do to help them. I've tried cleaning, treating, SCRUBBING! the heck out of some WWI zinc/steel coins to no avail, so I didn't see much hope for these. There are a few nice coins in the rolls, but for the most part they are ruined. I did manage to score a 09-S, 14-D, and 31-S from the collection though! :ninja:

Rust is how most of them appear to be now. There were a couple of dozen in my 5,000 bag, and most of them were rusty. The composition was so ill conceived and not really tried out, that as a result the steel in the cent only lasted during 1943 and cents went back to bronze(allegedly from shell casings, so the propaganda states) I asked my grandmother once about if she had used them, and she remembered disliking them when they came out because they looked so similar to dimes.

Well, there are half a dozen circ rolls in the box as well, and about 30-40% of those are rusty. They were improperly stored, they have been in this guys basement, in ammo boxes since the early 80's. I'm honestly surprised more are not rusted.

Oh well, It was a thought. Sorry :ninja:

I didn't mean that in a bad light, I only meant I wouldn't use that method on a new coin. But I do appreciate your posting of ideas regardless if I can use them or not.

Gxseries, I may try the WD-40 thing, it's not like I will be losing anything in doing so, lol. I will try it on one of the none-unc ones first though, just incase it does damage the coin.

To get thee oil to work better,you may want to soak them.Also,I would try electrostsctios(SP?).Just put it in a little salt water(witch may be bad for steel) and hook a wire from a 9 volt to the coin,and the other to a peice of metal.I would try on junk first,then the nice ones.

I didn't mean that in a bad light, I only meant I wouldn't use that method on a new coin. But I do appreciate your posting of ideas regardless if I can use them or not.

No, no, I took no offence at that. :ninja:

I have 30 rolls of the 1943 cents. Almost all are in some type of MS grade. They are all in those plastic tubes. They've been there a long, long time. No rust, no corrosion, no nothing. Every one looks like it did when I put them there. Those were the first coins I ever collected and many were from when I was a kid in 1943 and they were all brand new. What you have is the Zinc Oxidizing and if you remove this grey looking Oxydation, you may end up exposing the steel below to more Oxydation which is what people call rust. Note the term rust is in reality a form of Oxydation. Zinc, like Aluminum will form a layer of this and then basically stop the Oxydation process. Sort of like natures method of metal protection. This is why they originally processed the coins like this. The Zinc was supposed to preserve the cents forever. One of the problems though turned out to be the electrical charges created by the dissimilar metals touching during deferentiation in temperatures. Such charges are extreamely minor but accelerate Oxydation. Also, many vending machines just don't like magnetic money. I would suggest you do nothing to those coins but place in the plastic rolls. If no air, humidity or excessive temperature changes are present, they will be there for hundreds of years.

Archived