CoinPeople.com

What die pairing is this? 1763 MM 5 kopeks

gxseries

I was trying to catalogue what I had so that I don't end up getting a duplicate and perhaps selling off the extra duplicates that I have. Most of them are in hopeless conditions anyways. ;)

I end up finding this coin and I'm rather confused what die pairing this 1763 MM 5 kopeks.

922707.jpg

Uzdenikov has all of the 1763 5 kopeks under A/b

But this is the illustration that he used:

cu_group_viii_5k.jpg

My understanding of the illustration used in A is that the scepter is close to the left side of the wing, if not touching. Clearly it is not with the coin that I have unless there are many dies that Uzdenikov cared less to illustrate.

Any ideas? :ninja:

I was trying to catalogue what I had so that I don't end up getting a duplicate and perhaps selling off the extra duplicates that I have. Most of them are in hopeless conditions anyways.

I end up finding this coin and I'm rather confused what die pairing this 1763 MM 5 kopeks.

My understanding of the illustration used in A is that the scepter is close to the left side of the wing, if not touching. Clearly it is not with the coin that I have unless there are many dies that Uzdenikov cared less to illustrate.

Any ideas?

All dies at that time were made up of many hubs, including one for the scepter. The distance of the scepter from

the wing all depended on the diesinker.

RWJ

The picture A is followed by an asterisk *. According to Uzdennikov's preface an asterisk means that there are variants. Your coin is normal.

what are the major differences between those eagles?
gxseries, in Uzdennikov the 5 kop 1758 thru 1768 are A* type. All mints and "no mintmark" included. Although the SPM and SM eagles are definitely different from the EM eagles they all sail under A*. So, to answer your question: All portions of the eagle can be slightly different - just lay your own 5 kop. coins 1758 thru 1768 next each other and you'll see some eagle variants yourself. Sigi

Perhaps its time to vote for our favorite 5K Eagle design?

Ill start:

The Later (late 80's and '90s) KM Eagle is mine. A very handsome bird, in my opinion. ;)

Yes, Josh, I'd vote for that one, too. :ninja: Sigi

Archived