CoinPeople.com

Sets,are they worth it

numismatic nut

Most all of us have seen them,and a good number of us probaly own a few.They are those sonicly sealed coin sets from various companys.They have a carboard incert that coins and printing are in that are sealed like proof sets.They have different theems like the historic buffalo nickel,or 5 decades of unique american coinage,ect.. .My question,do thease add to colections,or are thease just a waste of money?

It depends on what your collecting interests are.

If you like that someone else has done the historical research and coin presentation work for you then great but it usually comes with a premium mark-up compared to raw. The trick is to understand what you are paying for and determining how many extra $$ over the value of the raw coin do you think is worth the packaging. Most of the time I think it's a waste of money & time.

but...

As long as the coins have not been altered in any way, I will occasionally buy them second hand on ebay and hand them out to kids as presents in the hopes to spark an interest in coin collecting (or history) especially if they have a historical reference or article inside the case with the coin.

-K

I would never recommend or buy such a set. It is one way a dealer can get rid of his second hand coins, by putting them in an appealing package. The coins are marked up well beyond their worth, and the dealer knows it, and laughs to the bank.

For less money, you can do the same thing with coins you own or purchased, if you like these, or want to give them to children. Otherwise, find them discounted on ebay.

I've been seeing a lot of them lately. Since coin collecting is at such a high, many people are making those. At a flea market one dealer usually has a set of three 1943 Lincoln Cents in a plastic thing with a little notation about this unusual coin. There is P,D,S mint coin and in only decent condition. They sell for about $5. Some for less. Each coin is worth about $0.30 at best. The plastic holder, slight written info, both sides visible, not a bad thing for a kids gift just way over priced. Same with War Nickels, Buffalo Nickels, etc. All way overpriced but nice for kids gifts. I wouldn't buy them, but many do as a novelty. I guess it's easy to say overpriced but unless you have the materials to make them, and if you wanted one, not much else you can do.

As a rule they are a huge waste of money.

The coins tend to be exceedingly common and are often polished, plated,

or otherwise damaged. They are frequently glued into the frames and no

consideration is given to the glue used.

Prices are invariably much higher than the cost of assembling it yourself.

There are probably some exceptions out there but I'd look hard at one be-

fore buying it.

As a rule they are a huge waste of money.

The coins tend to be exceedingly common and are often polished, plated,

or otherwise damaged. They are frequently glued into the frames and no

consideration is given to the glue used.

Prices are invariably much higher than the cost of assembling it yourself.

Not necessarily so around here. I've never seen any where the coins are glued in. Very true if buying for the coins, a great waste since for the coins, overpriced. Attempting to assemble one yourself, you would have to find the plastic containers, have the little stories about the coins printed on a small piece of cardboard, get the coins, put it all together. This process for a few would cost way more than just the price of the coins.

I still think for the average person to buy something for gift, it is not to bad. I wish the prices were just about half though.

Archived