CoinPeople.com

Borodino 1 1\2 die variety? - urgent advice is needed

Timofei

Hi all,

I have been reviewing the famous 1 1\2 conmemorative coin and I found a (supposed) die variety. While 'regular' coins usually have full letters this new variety has broken "и" in the word "borodino", a small diagonal line (die defect) near the letter "и" in the word IMP and finally a broken figure 2 in the "1 1\2" (the fragments are shown in the pictures). I noted these on at least 2 coins which are in old patina with traces of collector's and general circulation. At this moment I cannot verify this information with Moscow GIM.

I ask to please review images databases or coins in the possesion to see if these remarkable defects are present in other coins.

Thank you

borodino-tt.jpg

borodino-tt1.jpg

Hi all,

I have been reviewing the famous 1 1\2 conmemorative coin and I found a (supposed) die variety. While 'regular' coins usually have full letters this new variety has broken "?" in the word "borodino", a small diagonal line (die defect) near the letter "?" in the word IMP and finally a broken figure 2 in the "1 1\2" (the fragments are shown in the pictures). I noted these on at least 2 coins which are in old patina with traces of collector's and general circulation. At this moment I cannot verify this information with Moscow GIM.

I ask to please review images databases or coins in the possesion to see if these remarkable defects are present in other coins.

Thank you

I have downloaded 27 illustrations of this coin but about half are not good enough quality (of the photograph)

to determine if the defects are present. For 6 pieces, however, I have found the following auction illustrations,

which are possibly what you are looking for (not for certain, however):

All three defects –

Coin Galleries, January 2007

Two reverse defects only –

Superior February 2005

Superior February 2004

Defect in the figure 2 only –

Ekaterina 43

Ekaterina 46

Giessener Münzhandlung 157

RWJ

I have downloaded 27 illustrations of this coin but about half are not good enough quality (of the photograph)

to determine if the defects are present. For 6 pieces, however, I have found the following auction illustrations,

which are possibly what you are looking for (not for certain, however):

All three defects –

Coin Galleries, January 2007

Two reverse defects only –

Superior February 2005

Superior February 2004

Defect in the figure 2 only –

Ekaterina 43

Ekaterina 46

Giessener Münzhandlung 157

RWJ

I have all three "defects" on my own coin.

Vlad.

Hi all,

I have been reviewing the famous 1 1\2 conmemorative coin and I found a (supposed) die variety. While 'regular' coins usually have full letters this new variety has broken "и" in the word "borodino", a small diagonal line (die defect) near the letter "и" in the word IMP and finally a broken figure 2 in the "1 1\2" (the fragments are shown in the pictures). I noted these on at least 2 coins which are in old patina with traces of collector's and general circulation. At this moment I cannot verify this information with Moscow GIM.

Thank you

borodino-tt.jpg

borodino-tt1.jpg

Timofey,

I see all three distinct features on my coin. Also, I see that there is no upper horizontal connector in the letter "P" (Russian) in the word "Pervyi" . If you need I can send the scans to your private box.

Best regards,

Archived