CoinPeople.com

Opinions on some US Mint "issues"

syzygy

US MINT POLL  

17 members have voted

1. 1. The US Mint is producing too many non-circulating issues.

• Strongly agree
    • Agree
    • Neither agree nor disagree
    • Disagree
    • Strongly disagree
  2. 2. The numerous US mint Gold and Platinum NCLT issues hurt coin collectors in the long run by taking $ away from "traditional" coin purchases.

• Strongly disagree
    • Disagree
    • Agree
    • Strongly Agree
  3. 3. The new trend toward changing circulating (or semi-circulating) issues such as the State Quarters, Jefferson Nickels, President Dollars and soon-to-come Lincoln cents help the coin collecting hobby.

• Strongly agree
    • Agree
    • Disagree
    • Strongly disagree

Possibly mis-understood that one, but I was thinking of the billions of dollar coins.

It dosen't take away from "traditional" purchases (Whatever those are :ninja:) YOU decide if you want "traditional" of Gold or Platinum.

I like that it's changing, but it's changing for the worse honestly.

The US Mint is producing too many non-circulating issues. Yep, I have to agree here. There's just too much being offered and sometimes I feel like they become almost novelties. I like to get a mint set to fill holes in date albums, but I am less and less interested in the rest.

The numerous US mint Gold and Platinum NCLT issues hurt coin collectors in the long run by taking $ away from "traditional" coin purchases. Yeah, probably. But there is a market for buillion and if I were a part of it, I would prefer the US mint issues.

The new trend toward changing circulating (or semi-circulating) issues such as the State Quarters, Jefferson Nickels, President Dollars and soon-to-come Lincoln cents help the coin collecting hobby. Yes, I think they definitely bring new collectors in. They are there for the collecting right out of circulation. OK, so the ones from your change are probably not going to be fetching a premium in the next 100 years, but that's ok because they can be collected on the lowest of budgets. Plus, they do spread some historical information and they get folks talking about coins and collecting and that is good for recruitment.

It's not just the number of non-circulating coins but the myriad of different finishes: UNC, Proof, Satin, Burnished, Reverse Proof, etc...

Just when you think you have complete set they come out with a new finish and you have to figure out what to do with your current album that doesn't account for the new finish :ninja:

I generally ignore the bullion coins the mint issues. If you want gold or platinum or some special silver thing - go for it. I don't believe that anyone spends their coin budget on these just to keep up with what the mint produces. A lot of folks buy them for investment purposes and would be buying Canadian or Mexican or ??? gold/platinum if the US didn't mint it.

I like the design changes. I think the State Quarters are one of the best things to happen to the hobby in many years. I can not count the number of people I've talked to who started collecting or revived their collecting because of them. Ditto for the nickel changes. Presidential dollars??? The jury is still out IMHO but with the emphasis on Coins in the Classroom from the ANA and the general lack of knowledge of US History on the part of the general public, they may serve a great purpose.

I do not buy bags of quarters or rolls of coins from the mint. I think they have little potential for collection/investment. I do buy the proof sets, clad & silver and once in a while a commemorative if it strikes my fancy. Mint Sets are a must -- why try to collect great specimens from circulation when you can get the whole run in one shot?

I try to get one ASE for each year also -- mostly because I really like the design. I haven't bothered with the different finishes and W mint marks. I've always loved the Walkers.

Circulating coins - Very much agree. And not just the dollars, it's the halves, and even pennies and nickels to some extent, too. Our government could be spending the monies on something else, but we just won't know what.

Bullion - Didn't mind until the First Ladies came out. One step too far there.

SQ series etc. - While the SQ's may have bolstered our numbers at first, I don't think it was the best way to re-create interest in numismatics. Now their success is hurting more than helping (i.e. Pres Dollars). I say, if you want to attract renewed interest in US coins, put the beautiful bust of Liberty or the detailed visage of the American Indian back on them!!! They got it halfway right when they minted the Gold Buffalo Bullion - now they need to make more original designs and make it so that it will circulate.

In short, Disinterest in US Coins = US thinks its Presidents are ugly

Archived