CoinPeople.com

The first step in big changes to U.S. coins.

Dockwalliper

Looks like copper plated steel cents are in the works according to the legislation giving the Treasury Dept say over coinage, and in fact the nickel through 1/2 dollar might also become steel.

We've had them for a few years up here, and trust me, they just don't feel the same. It's like comparing a silver dime to a clad dime. One feels like money, the other feels cheap. Take that a few notches down the "cheap scale" and you have the difference between a clad coin and a plated steel coin.

The problem with stainless steel for USA coins is that most vending machines use magnets to weed out Canadian coins, and will not want to then have to accept Canadian coins. The vending industry will have a fit.

Thats why I'm not so sure they will do steel with anything but the cent. They don't use magnets in gumball machines. :ninja:

Thats why I'm not so sure they will do steel with anything but the cent. They don't use magnets in gumball machines. :ninja:

Gumball machines most often don't take cents anymore. The only one I have seen that still does is one we have in our living room that is about 60-70 yrs old.

My wife bought it at a garage sale or something when she was a kid, it is an old one, made of cast iron and glass. Right now there is a pile of pennies, all pre-1982 or wheats that are used to buy gumballs from it. You can also use British Sixpences from 1920-1967 in it, as they are the same rough size as a cent.

The problem with stainless steel for USA coins is that most vending machines use magnets to weed out Canadian coins, and will not want to then have to accept Canadian coins. The vending industry will have a fit.

OK not to insult anyone but are you aware that there are virtually many hundreds of grades of Stainless Steel? Most of the time when a manufacturer wants to hide the fact that thier SO CALLED Stainless Steel is in fact a low caliber, they just state Stainless Steel on the object. China, Japan, India for examples. Now stop and think how many times have you heard the expression 440 Stainless Steel? Or Surgical Stainless Steel? Or 240, or 180 Stainless Steel? A really good grade of Stainless Steel is non or close to non magnetic. Although a Chemist and Electrical Engineer I never knew that until a project I was working on required inspectors to test the construction grade Stainless Steel with a magnet. If it stuck, suppliers were told to take it back. Have you ever noticed a set of kitchen knives that are supposed to be Stainless Steel staining?

Yes we could make our coins from Stainless Steel and it would not effect vending machines that use magnetic systems. However, keep in mind that the higher the grade of Stainless Steel, the higher the cost. Might be right back in a cent costing more than a cent.

Not to drag out the government spending thing to far so that they don't come take me away. But here in Illinois, for example, some time ago our government stated we are going to have a lotto. The proceeeds from this will pay for our school systems and our taxes will all go down. They have increased the lottery from Saturday to every day and sometimes twice a day. Do we pay taxes for our schools? Our schools are going broke, no money for them, all paid for by taxes, lets raise the taxes again. HEY! What happens to all the money from the lottory???????

OH, OH. There is a knock at my door. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo

The magnetic properties of stainless steel are very dependent on the elements added into the alloy, and specifically the addition of nickel can change the structure from magnetic to non-magnetic. The question is, can enough nickel be added and still make it cost effective.

The magnetic properties of stainless steel are very dependent on the elements added into the alloy, and specifically the addition of nickel can change the structure from magnetic to non-magnetic. The question is, can enough nickel be added and still make it cost effective.

Of course. Again, look it up. For example organizations that make strut material makes many grades of Stainless Steel for construction sites. Struts are a Channel shapped steel material used in many, many construction sites where there is an exposure to either air, moisture of concrete. This type of Stainless Steel is mass produced for a reasonable price. As I noted an entire large project had to have only high grade, non-magnetic Stainless Steel used. If your interested it was the entire reconstruction of all three levels of the Wacker Drive in Chicago project. This ment a fantatastic amount of Stainless Steel material including the Struts, bolts, nuts, spring nuts, washers, studs, lamp mounting brackets, etc. The primary reason is Wacker Drive runs along the Chicago River and to say the least, the place is damp all the time. Also, it is known that Stainless Steel of a high grade is impervious to the damage created by some formulae added to the concrete or the top Latex Road finish.

Sorry about the long explanation but I was there for a few years and have well over 5,000 photos of that construction site.

Archived