CoinPeople.com

It's Greek To Me And Should Be To You To

903689A.jpg

903689B.jpg

This is the prize. I bid on a lot of Greek banknotes last night, basically because I wanted one note out of the whole lot(A 1000 Drachma dated 1970 in uncirculated.) So this note above is now an extra, because of there being one of these with the lot.

Contest rules:

To be fair, one entry per person- no sockpuppies!

Your mission - you have to write a missive about what you love about Greece and it's culture and why. 5 (five) semi-finalists will thence be selected from entries posted here, then a random lottery will be affected and a winner selected from that lot of 5 semi-finalists.

Contest closes at 6pm EST or 23:00 GMT on 13 July(Friday)

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the word Greek was Greek food and drink. That is my favorite thing about the Greek culture having not actually been there (I missed out on my last European trip, stupid classes :ninja: ). But, not going to Greece didn't stop me from eating Greek food every time I saw it. Even though I can barely pronounce or spell any of the food or drinks, I have never gone wrong with a gyro. Add a Mythos to wash it down and its impossible to go wrong. When I worked in Columbus, there were two Greek restaurants within lunch distance that I went to as much as possible. I always got Tzatziki, and could never go wrong with Saganaki (lighting food on fire is just fun for some reason) and a gyro. While I couldn't really drink Ouzo for lunch, it was OK because I love the food.

So, that in short is what I like best about the Greek culture, among other things. Just leave it to me to talk about food and alcohol when I get a chance ;)

Edit: I didn't notice until now that the winking icons on this site look really odd.

the best thing i love bout greece is its stories an mythology.The titans who created the world where betrayed by their own children the olympians, zues (an olympian) was later betrayed by his son heracules.it goes to show u that history repeats itself.An their r alot of heros in greek mythology and alot of stories describe how something was created eg:- the story of 1 of the best weavers in greece who said she can weave better then athena(the goddess of wisdom, weaving, crafts and the more disciplined side of war) i found it on the internet cause i didnt wanna waste time writting x) anyway here it is" :-

Arachne was the daughter of a famous dyer in Tyrian purple in Hypaipa of Lydia. She became so conceited of her skill as a weaver that she began claiming that her skill was greater than that of Athena herself.

Athena gave Arachne a chance to redeem herself by assuming the form of an old woman and warning Arachne not to offend the gods. Arachne scoffed and wished for a weaving contest, so she could prove her skill.

Athena wove the scene of her victory over Poseidon that had inspired her patronage of Athens. According to the Latin narrative, Arachne's tapestry featured twenty-one episodes of the infidelity of the gods: Jupiter being unfaithful with Leda, with Europa, with Danae.

Even Athena admitted that Arachne's work was flawless, but was outraged at Arachne's disrespectful choice of subjects that displayed the failings and transgressions of the gods. Finally losing her temper, Athena destroyed Arachne's tapestry and loom, striking it with her shuttle, Arachne was then transformed into a spider by athena, to weave for eternity. (the name Arachne means spider in greak due to the story ;) )

Thus this story showed us how the spider was created. an greek mythology is full of brave ppl such as Achilles, Jason, Odysseus, Theseus, Perseus, Hercules and many more. Most of them r in some way descendants to gods such as Achilles is in some way descendant from a nymph although not a god a nymph is in some way related to a god in such that they r daughters of certain gods.

Other then greek myth Greece has an amazing history an i my self as a history addict has named greece an persia as the 2 first super powers in the world. Even thou the greek where out numbered in certain wars they still came out victorious that goes to show how the military power of the greeks was supreme at the time.

Greeks also invented alot of stuff that we still use today such as (u all ofcourse like this since its our hobbey to collect em ;) ) coined money, maps, thermometer, hula hoop (i know i couldnt believe it my self but it shows on various art work from ancient greece ;) heres a pic HulaHoop.jpg), an PIZZA was actually invented by ancient greeks!!! and last but not least greeks also invented the Catapult which greatly aided their military power because it can destroy walls, buildings 10 times faster then soilders with swords can.

and also i like greece cause well it had the most philosophers an educated ppl of its time thats why greece was the first country to build schools , universities and collages.Modern greece is an amazing tourist attraction nowdays it has a wonderfull culture their dance is unique mixed from western and middle eastern a bit so is their music an their art is breathtaking also ;)

i got more to say bout greece but that will take the whole forum so i wont write anymore :D u wanna know more just pm me :D i have got plenty to tell bout greece :ninja:

eh sry im not a big writter on this subject!!!

dustin

come on try :ninja: greek stories are amazing ;) i first liked it from hercules cartoon days but later forgot bout it an in 8th grade my english teacher forced me to read a book "greek mythology" it was small but full of short stories 1 story was how winter is created ((short version)underworld god married a beautiful daughter of the goddess of nature an zues said she can spend 6 months with her husband in the underworld (thus autumn an winter )an 6 months out (this spring an summer)

i love greece because of its historical past and was part of the most powerful civlizations known to man and it was the home of the greeks of course. there historical past was very important they were the first people to have sewage systems and many other things. the greeks were very powerful and the most important things to them were there gods and goddeses and education and military. i belive if it wasent for chirstanity that the greeks empire would still be today. the greeks were strct in there home life and were barely home. the women stayed home and kept the house clean( which most hosehold then had slaves) and were barely allowed out of the house unless they were going to weddings, funerals, some religious festivals, and could visit female neighbors for brief periods of time.

The ancient Greeks considered their children to be 'youths' until they reached the age of 30! When a child was born to ancient Greek family, a naked father carried his child, in a ritual dance, around the household. Friends and relatives sent gifts. The family decorated the doorway of their home with a wreath of olives (for a boy) or a wreath of wool (for a girl).

In Athens, as in most Greek city-states, with the exception of Sparta, girls stayed at home until they were married. Like their mother, they could attend certain festivals, funerals, and visit neighbors for brief periods of time. Their job was to help their mother, and to help in the fields, if necessary.

Ancient Greek children played with many toys, including rattles, little clay animals, horses on 4 wheels that could be pulled on a string, yo-yo's, and terra-cotta dolls.

THE Mlitary

The goal of education in the Greek city-states was to prepare the child for adult activities as a citizen. The nature of the city-states varied greatly, and this was also true of the education they considered appropriate. In most Greek city-states, when young, the boys stayed at home, helping in the fields, sailing, and fishing. At age 6 or 7, they went to school. Both daily life and education were very different in Sparta [militant], than in Athens [arts and culture] or in the other ancient Greek city-states.

The goal of education in Sparta, an authoritarian, military city-state, was to produce soldier-citizens who were well-drilled, well-disciplined marching army. Spartans believed in a life of discipline, self-denial, and simplicity. Boys were very loyal to the state of Sparta.

The boys of Sparta were obliged to leave home at the age of 7 to join sternly disciplined groups under the supervision of a hierarchy of officers. From age 7 to 18, they underwent an increasingly severe course of training.

Spartan boys were sent to military school at age 6 or 7. They lived, trained and slept in their the barracks of their brotherhood. At school, they were taught survival skills and other skills necessary to be a great soldier. School courses were very hard and often painful. Although students were taught to read and write, those skills were not very important to the ancient Spartans.

Only warfare mattered. The boys were not fed well, and were told that it was fine to steal food as long as they did not get caught stealing. If they were caught, they were beaten. They walked barefoot, slept on hard beds, and worked at gymnastics and other physical activities such as running, jumping, javelin and discus throwing, swimming, and hunting. They were subjected to strict discipline and harsh physical punishment; indeed, they were taught to take pride in the amount of pain they could endure.

At 18, Spartan boys became military cadets and learned the arts of war. At 20, they joined the state militia--a standing reserve force available for duty in time of emergency--in which they served until they were 60 years old.

The typical Spartan may or may not have been able to read. But reading, writing, literature, and the arts were considered unsuitable for the soldier-citizen and were therefore not part of his education. Music and dancing were a part of that education, but only because they served military ends.

Somewhere between the age of 18-20, Spartan males had to pass a difficult test of fitness, military ability, and leadership skills. Any Spartan male who did not pass these examinations became a perioikos. (The perioikos, or the middle class, were allowed to own property, have business dealings, but had no political rights and were not citizens.)

If they passed, they became a full citizen and a Spartan soldier. Spartan citizens were not allowed to touch money. That was the job of the middle class. Spartan soldiers spent most of their lives with their fellow soldiers.

They ate, slept, and continued to train in their brotherhood barracks. Even if they were married, they did not live with their wives and families. They lived in the barracks. Military service did not end until a Spartan male reached the age of 60. At age 60, a Spartan soldier could retire and live in their home with their family.

Unlike the other Greek city-states, Sparta provided training for girls that went beyond the domestic arts. The girls were not forced to leave home, but otherwise their training was similar to that of the boys. They too learned to run, jump, throw the javelin and discus, and wrestle mightiest strangle a bull. Girls also went to school at age 6 or 7. They lived, slept and trained in their sisterhood's barracks. No one knows if their school was as cruel or as rugged as the boys school, but the girls were taught wrestling, gymnastics and combat skills.

Some historians believe the two schools were very similar, and that an attempt was made to train the girls as thoroughly as they trained the boys. In any case, the Spartans believed that strong young women would produce strong babies.

At age 18, if a Sparta girl passed her skills and fitness test, she would be assigned a husband and allowed to return home. If she failed, she would lose her rights as a citizen, and became a perioikos, a member of the middle class.

In most of the other Greek city-states, women were required to stay inside their homes most of their lives. In Sparta, citizen women were free to move around, and enjoyed a great deal of freedom, as their husbands did not live at home.

Educations in Athens

The goal of education in Athens, a democratic city-state, was to produce citizens trained in the arts of both peace and war.

In ancient Athens, the purpose of education was to produce citizens trained in the arts, to prepare citizens for both peace and war. Other than requiring two years of military training that began at age 18, the state left parents to educate their sons as they saw fit. The schools were private, but the tuition was low enough so that even the poorest citizens could afford to send their children for at least a few years. Until age 6 or 7, boys generally were taught at home by their mother.

Most Athenian girls had a primarily domestic education. The most highly educated women were the hetaerae, or courtesans, who attended special schools where they learned to be interesting companions for the men who could afford to maintain them.

Boys attended elementary school from the time they were about age 6 or 7 until they were 13 or 14. Part of their training was gymnastics. Younger boys learned to move gracefully, do calisthenics, and play ball and other games. The older boys learned running, jumping, boxing, wrestling, and discus and javelin throwing. The boys also learned to play the lyre and sing, to count, and to read and write. But it was literature that was at the heart of their schooling.

The national epic poems of the Greeks - Homer's Odyssey and Iliad - were a vital part of the life of the Athenian people. As soon as their pupils could write, the teachers dictated passages from Homer for them to take down, memorize, and later act out. Teachers and pupils also discussed the feats of the Greek heroes described by Homer.

The education of mind, body, and aesthetic sense was, according to Plato, so that the boys. From age 6 to 14, they went to a neighborhood primary school or to a private school. Books were very expensive and rare, so subjects were read out-loud, and the boys had to memorize everything. To help them learn, they used writing tablets and rulers.

At 13 or 14, the formal education of the poorer boys probably ended and was followed by apprenticeship at a trade. The wealthier boys continued their education under the tutelage of philosopher-teachers.

Until about 390 BC there were no permanent schools and no formal courses for such higher education. Socrates, for example, wandered around Athens, stopping here or there to hold discussions with the people about all sorts of things pertaining to the conduct of man's life. But gradually, as groups of students attached themselves to one teacher or another, permanent schools were established. It was in such schools that Plato, Socrates, and Aristotle taught.

The boys who attended these schools fell into more or less two groups.

Those who wanted learning for its own sake studied with philosophers like Plato who taught such subjects as geometry, astronomy, harmonics (the mathematical theory of music), and arithmetic.

Those who wanted training for public life studied with philosophers like Socrates who taught primarily oratory and rhetoric. In democratic Athens such training was appropriate and necessary because power rested with the men who had the ability to persuade their fellow senators to act.

this is why i love greece..

there ya go my eyes are burning with all of the reading!!!

xD i thought u said u didnt know anything xD :ninja:!!! all this in few hours ;) r u holding out on us ;) anyway its nice learned stuff ;) like "a naked father carried his child, in a ritual dance, around the household" which i didnt wanna know xD but since i read it good to know xD ;)

ya greek have a nice mythology an history trust me i read wikipedia full an have books 2 !!! xD but didnt wanna write alot cause i already know everything y should i write it xD only lil of the intresting parts i wrote :ninja:

tip of the day:- greek invented central heating...romans improved it ;)!!!

As a Greek this was fun to read. And nice to see one of the banknotes I used to use as a kid. :ninja: Cool contest, Scottishmoney. I was expecting mostly contributions mentioning ancient Greece, but was glad that someone liked our contemporary version as well. ;)

dan8402, I hate you for reminding me of saganaki! Grrrrrrr

graikos ;) ur greece !!! ;) nice ;) eheheh we have a greek an persian on coin ppl ^_^ eheheh. anyways ya i like greece also cause it has an awesome climate an great views an the ppl r frndly ;) an unlike most countries in europe has lil pollution :D thus nice place to live an for ppl to retire :D. an also :D gr8 story tellers :ninja:

Archived