CoinPeople.com

1915 rouble on eBay

bobh

1915 rouble

With a very low mintage of just a few thousand, one would think that the edge letters would show only one variety. Not only are the letters themselves very thick, but the distance between "ДОЛИ" and "(B.C)" is different than on my coin:

My 1915 rouble

What do you think -- fake or genuine?

Both coins are fine. If you compare a dozen of same type coins' edges (before XX century), you will normally find a dozen of varieties based on the thickness of the letters, disyance between them, relative location to the obverse/reverse, etc. So, do not worry !

Have a nice one,

1915 rouble

With a very low mintage of just a few thousand, one would think that the edge letters would show only one variety. Not only are the letters themselves very thick, but the distance between "????" and "(B.C)" is different than on my coin:

My 1915 rouble

What do you think -- fake or genuine?

This post raises some interesting points. For a short run of coins (the 600 original pieces of 1915 plus an unknown number of proof coins) there should have been only one edging device and no real variation except, perhaps, the depth of the lettering. However, about 5,000 additional pieces were struck at Petrograd in 1921 for the Far Eastern Republic; there were also an unknown number of semi-official restrikes made in the late 1920s for sale to foreign collectors. In both of the post-1915 cases one would think that only one edging device would have been used but it was not necessarily the same in all three instances.

The differences shown by bobh may well lead to the solution of determining the differences between the various issues.

RWJ

Archived