CoinPeople.com

1978 lincoln

Hello

Been lurking in the shadows for a few days checking out this great sight.! Then of course, I joined..

In the scan is a 1978 lincoln with some type of doubling on reverse..

It looks like "one cent" was stamped over letters on reverse.

Can anyone tell me what type of error this is? is it rare?

Click on thumnail for larger view.

th_angleshot.jpg

Welcome to CoinPeople, my friend!

If I'm not mistaken, you have yourself a coin made with a "clashed die." When you look at the reverse, do you see what looks like words that would normally be found on the obverse????

A clashed die is when no coin is between the dies and they slam together so hard they leave an impression on one another. In an exceptionally strong one, you may see what looks like Lincoln's Head upside down on the reverse side. In your case, you may see "In God We Trust" on the reverse at the bottom on top of "One cent"

Welcome to CoinPeople, my friend!

If I'm not mistaken, you have yourself a coin made with a "clashed die." When you look at the reverse, do you see what looks like words that would normally be found on the obverse????

A clashed die is when no coin is between the dies and they slam together so hard they leave an impression on one another. In an exceptionally strong one, you may see what looks like Lincoln's Head upside down on the reverse side. In your case, you may see "In God We Trust" on the reverse at the bottom on top of "One cent"

Thanks for the quick reply..

All I can see is basically whats shown in the pic.! The letters start at the left tip of the memorial & run to the "e" of cents, thats about all I can make out.. It does appear to spell "In god we trust & it would also be about the right length.. To bad its not more "out standing".! Anyhow,guess I found my first Error??

I only been collecting for about a week.! tonight I believe I also found a 1984 lincoln DDO in a circulated roll.! Not a real rare find I know, but very satisfying anyhow. I'll try to show a pick of the coin tommorow evening if you want to see it.

Thanks alot, Cherry Picker.

great clash...the e matches perfectly and the w can be seen as well. Great eye. I wouldn't have caught that one very easily....

Thanks for the quick reply..

All I can see is basically whats shown in the pic.! The letters start at the left tip of the memorial & run to the "e" of cents, thats about all I can make out.. It does appear to spell "In god we trust & it would also be about the right length.. To bad its not more "out standing".! Anyhow,guess I found my first Error??

I only been collecting for about a week.! tonight I believe I also found a 1984 lincoln DDO in a circulated roll.! Not a real rare find I know, but very satisfying anyhow. I'll try to show a pick of the coin tommorow evening if you want to see it.

Thanks alot, Cherry Picker.

I don't think I've ever found an error worth remembering like those two. Congrats! I've been doing this much longer than you too! :ninja:

great clash...the e matches perfectly and the w can be seen as well. Great eye. I wouldn't have caught that one very easily....

The eye came from Looking at thousands of stamps.! (pre-1930 mostly) However, I had to find a new hobby as of late & I believe I found one I really do enjoy just as well.. I have alot to learn about coins..

I plan on buying the cherry pickers guide.! but is there any other recommended reading from you old pro's?

LOL, Hope you guys have alot of patients cause Ill likely be asking alot questions once I get some reading material :ninja:

Thanks for the replies.

Cherry Picker.

Sorry to go off the topic of coins, but I noticed you said you have been looking at stamps for years. Do you know of any forums or good sites on philatelic related materials. I'd love to learn more about the stamps I have.

Thanks and I apologize to everyone else for going off topic.

Sorry to go off the topic of coins, but I noticed you said you have been looking at stamps for years. Do you know of any forums or good sites on philatelic related materials. I'd love to learn more about the stamps I have.

Thanks and I apologize to everyone else for going off topic.

What kinda of material do you have, US or foreign?

Cherry Picker

Archived