CoinPeople.com

RE: Who is your favorite Roman Emperor

zzancientcoins

Hi,

Having read a book about the lives and deaths of the Roman Emperors,

I am curious to know who is your favorite emperor, and the reasons

why he is favorite? As a follow-up question, is this the reason

that a coin of that emperor may be your favorite? or is the favorite

coin not connected to a favorite emperor?

Kindest regards,

B. Leon

For me it would have to be Constantine I, for establishing Christianity as the state relegion.

Hi,

Nice choice. But do you like the coins of Constatine I, or only the Emperor himself?

kindest regards,

B. Leon

917846.jpg

Augustus for me, but that's because I like the his coins.

Hi!

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

That is an unusual-looking coin. Looking at its unique

design, I would never have guessed it was a Roman

coin. It looks very rare indeed as I have never

come across a coin like this.

Kindest regards,

B. Leon

Hi!

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

That is an unusual-looking coin. Looking at its unique

design, I would never have guessed it was a Roman

coin. It looks very rare indeed as I have never

come across a coin like this.

Kindest regards,

B. Leon

It is from Spain and is Celtic-Iberian struck under Roman occupation/influence. I'm also an archaeologist interested in the evolution of imagery as cultures adapt to new influences and military conquests.

• 5 weeks later...

i have 2 actually julius caeser cause the month i was born in is named after him an he was brave an a gr8 war strategiest (i like strategy games eg risk) and for many more reasons also (during his reign rome flourished an grew wider) and my second best is augustus because he was almost similar to caeser who was his adopted father (augustus mother was caesers niece atia) an augustus favoured friendship (eg him and agrippa) etc

Personally I'm torn between Claudius I and Vespasian, though I think I'd have to say Claudius when it came down to it. The guy with a disability, excluded by his family, and ending up at the top of the heap--and then governing so well--is just such a great story about the Underdog. Vespasian I also think is cool because of his earthy sense of humor.

I'd have to add Julian as a distant third, since he was the last non-Christian emperor.

I find Augustus, Julius Caesar, and Vespasian to be very interesting people. I'm actually taking a course in Roman History right now (final is tomorrow!). It's so cool to learn about people who live thousands of years ago yet you are holding a coin that was minted in their time in your hands!

For my mid-term I wrote a paper on Julius Caesar (one of the 10 topics we could pick from). He's just amazing in how he used his political skills to rise through the ranks as well as his ability to command armies. He was the total package.

Sometimes we need physical items to remind us of the people we hear so much about. Ancient coins bring us that which moderns cannot, a direct connection.

good luck burks ;) in ur finals ;)

Thanks. Got a 100/100 on my final exam. Had to write about the Roman Army..... :ninja: I only had to look up a couple things really, mostly for spelling. I've watched so many shows on the Roman Army along with reading books the final was easy. We had 2 hours to do it, I finished in like 40 minutes.

At the local coin show coming up I'm going in hell bent on getting an ancient Roman coin. At this point I really don't care who is on it. I find them all fascinating.

;) nice 100/100 xD 2 days for my igcse results xD ;) as long as i pass i don mind :ninja: an good luck on finding a roman coin :D i have one even though its counterfit an i got scammed its still nice ;) ^_^ i like it ;)

Ur? He's studying Rome, not Mesopotamia.

not the old city ur xD ur as in your "good luck in your finals" :D

For me it would have to be Constantine I, for establishing Christianity as the state relegion.

Well, Constantine just issued a decree for the tolerance of Christianity. Christianity became the state religion under Theodosius I.

My favorite would have to be Justinian. Our institute has the Hagia Sophia and it's architectural design as one of its main scientific research areas and I have been hearing stories about him for the past 3 years. :ninja: And the coins are also quite interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hadrian -- upgraded the empire technologically through his years as emperor and built that incredible wall to keep out those heathen Scots -- not too crazy about his preference for young boys, though....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived