CoinPeople.com

Morgan 1884-O with dieclashing

Do you guys know which VAM would fit with this one?

I checked all the ones that are posted on Vamworld, but mine doesn't seem to be there.

Here are some pics:

morgan-1884o.jpg

morgan-1884oa.jpg

morgan-1884ob.jpgmorgan-1884oc.jpg

What would you grade this one? (Total beginner on US-coins, so help me out :ninja: )

And last but not least, what would the value be?

Regards,

Jos

A lot of coins I have are die clashes but not all are vams. That being said I think you have a 23A Looks like a die break above the cap on your picture. (A 23a does have die clashes also.)

(Edit)

But I can't tell if there is doubling on the 1-4

(Lately though I have been noticing a lot of inconsistencies at VAMWorld. Wrong pictures and attributes posted. )

I'm not sure of the Vam listing with different dates, but this is caused from clashed dies. Basically it's the same as the Vam-4 I had when I had an 1883-CC morgan. It's not uncommon on most date morgans, but a very neat variety!

It seems I have the habit of choosing the more difficult Morgans, when it comes to attributing the VAM. I didn't expect that this one, with these heavy dieclashtraces, would be another one like that.

That line above the head, is a really fine diecrack. I thought it was only a scratch. Too bad there's that scratch on the ear though :ninja:

I found some more dieclashing behind the head, which is logical when you have those heavy clashes on the corresponding other side.

morgan-1884od.jpgmorgan-1884oe.jpg

Thanks for your help, guys!

Regards,

Jos

The areas you see clashed on the rev are liberty's cap, and on the obv is the wreath below the eagle.

I know this image isn't that great but it shows the most obvious clash mark beside the eagle, and how it fits into liberty's cap.

6bykktz.jpg

I have a strong double clashed die 1889. But that part does not make it a vam. But it does have Polish lines in the liberty, cotton bolls, nose, and the doubled ear. Also die chips in date. Making it a vam 40.

Heres a couple 1884 O's for you. :ninja:

1884 O Certified NGC struck thru

909639.jpg

1884 o a dollar Vam 13 O over O mint mark centered high

909454.jpg

Archived