CoinPeople.com

Bent 5K? --- I don't think so....

rittenhouse

squirell posted this and I just found it:

Ok, i took some photos this morning...

1788CPM 5K overstruck on 1762 10 Kopecks:

924400.jpg

edge (think potato chip...)

Bent? I don't think so. No impact marks, etc. This looks like the dies were heavily bulged. I'd like to see side shots - left then right transecting the "bend".

sorry rittenhouse, i deleted the edge photo because i was over my storage limit.. i will repost it this weekend, when i get to my other computer, and shoot it from other angles for you, as well.

Thanks. Could be interesting. This will be a busy weekend, probably won't respond until Monday.

According to Russian literature and sources old Russian "game" (for real men) was to bend 5 kopeck pieces with bare hands. :ninja:

цитата из "Ночь перед рождеством" (Гоголь):

"... Чуб не без тайного удовольствия видел, как кузнец, который никому на селе в ус не дул, сгибал в руке пятаки и подковы, как гречневые блины..."

WCO

Did it come in a Pringles can?

;)

But the story by Wco of bending these as a test of strength is nice little touch. iT Adds some character to the coin, dont you think?

I wish my grandfather were still alive. He was born in Russia at the turn of the century. He was a wrestler, and a family story involves him breaking chains with his bare hands! I'll bet he could have straightened out that pyatak! :ninja:

Archived