CoinPeople.com

Constantius I Medallion Copy

jamesicus

I have had this bronze medallion copy in my collection for many years. I believe these copies were made and sold by the British Museum sometime in the 1960s or 1970s.

The original gold medallion (multiple of 9 solidus), Mint of Trier, resides permanently in the Louvre and is depicted and described by Askew (The Coinage of Roman Britain, # 580, page 54). The Reverse is especially interesting as it depicts the personification or genius of London (?) in front of the Tower supplicating before Constantius I (Chlorus) who is on horseback with a Roman galley full of soldiers in the Thames (?) in the background. The reverse legend REDDITOR LVCIS AETERNAE (restorer of eternal light) alludes to the restoration of Britain to the Roman Empire by Constantius after his victory over the usurper Allectus in AD 296.

This, and four other similar gold medallions, was part of the famous Arras hoard discovered in 1922.

ric30.JPG

James

After further research -- and input from other collectors -- it appears that these copies were marketed by a Paris coin dealer (not the British Museum) many years ago. The original, along with other medallions from this hoard, are in the Museum at Arras - not the Louvre.

Here is a better photo of the reverse:

ric20.jpg

James

Bet it looks realy good in your collection, wonder what it is worth now in its own right :ninja: LOL

;)

Remember I only own a bronze copy of the Constantius Solidus multiple, De Orc -- I wish I did own an original of any of the Arras medallions -- I would be rich indeed!

James

Wonderful medallion James.

Thanks, Brian -- funny thing is, I bought this medallion copy at a coin shop as a curiosity many years ago when my collecting specialty was Julio-Claudian coinage. I hadn't really given it any thought until quite recently when I shifted my main interest to London Mint coins.

James

I couldn't afford the multiple four Aureus from the Arras Hoard :ninja: ..........

http://www.oslomynthandel.no/forum/artikler/record.html

1 Swiss franc = 0.812744 U.S. dollars

Now you have a goal ;)

Yeah based on this one,

csmedalrev.jpgcsmedalobv.jpg

Constantius I gold medallion showing him entering London

From the Arras hoard, its weight is equivalent to 10 gold coins

Historical backgrounds:

"By AD 296 Constantius had assembled two large fleets, one under his own command at Gesoriacum, the other under his Praetorian Prefect, Asclepiodotus, at Rouen. A false rumour caused this latter force to set sail and, when he heard this, Constantius hurried after it. Thanks to a thick fog Aslcepiodotus managed to avoid the British Fleet and landed near Southampton, burned his boats and marched for London. On hearing the news Allectus gathered his army and hurried to meet them, but was defeated and killed. The scattered remnant of his army fled back to London but were prevented from sacking it by the belated arrival there of Constantius.

This event was celebrated by a large gold medallion showing Constantius entering the gates of London and the legend REDDITOR LVCIS AETERNAE (Restoration of Eternal Light). "

Source was Kernelks - Carausius and Allectus (the usurpers Constantius had to face..)

:ninja:

Lex

Archived