CoinPeople.com

The ever changing portraits of Queen Elizabeth II

Johnny 1989

Best QEII Portrait  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which QEII portrait do you think is the best that has been issued so far?

• First Portrait
    • Second Portrait
    • Third Portrait
    • Fourth Portrait
    • First Portrait, Crowned Version
    • Third Portrait, Cayman Islands Version
    • Third Portrait, Canada Version
    • Fourth Portrait, Gibraltar Version
    • Fourth Portrait, Canada Alternative Version
    • Fifth Portrait, 2002 50th Anniversary of Ascension to Throne £5 coin
    • First Portrait, Spink Patina version
    • Fourth Portrait, 2002 Euro Pattern Version

Right, I put this in the world coin forum as opposed to the British one as most of the images come from the crown dependancies rather that the UK. One thing I never realised is that Queen Elizabeth II has had so many different portraits since she came to the throne, what I want to know is what do people think is the best profile so far, included here are common profiles, country specific profiles & pattern profiles

001-QEII-Type1.png

002-QEII-Type2.png

003-QEII-Type3.png

Frosted proof version of 10p

004-QEII-Type4.png

006-QEII-Type1A.png

6 & 7.

007-QEII-Type3AB.png

008-QEII-Type4A.png

d7b1_1.JPG

Image of item won from ebay

005-QEII-TypeC.png

EDIT: word Portrait replaced with Profile, although I can't change the thread title/poll option names unfortunately

0f73_1.JPG

Image of item won from ebay, which I'm still waiting for BTW :ninja:

009-QEII-Type4B.png

My personal favourite is the Third portrait, I think it's simple enough, but not too simple, to show enough detail on the coin after wear & tear, which, unfortunately doesn't apply to the Fourth portrait.

I wonder if there will be another standard fifth portrait?

To me #2 looks best. What I like about that portrait is that it is not a 100% profile view. Elizabeth seems to smile and even look at you. Well, numbers 9 and 10 are not strictly profiles either, but (IMO) not that well done.

Christian

There's also the one used on the 2002 Canadian 50c which appeared earlier on some coronation medals

Ah so there is a variant to these, any pics at all?

Does this mean then that Lizzie is the monarchs with the most Profile* variations ever?

* I realise I put portrait instead of profile in the first post, Doh! :ninja:;) I have edited this where I can

My fav is #1. And I think some of the smaller nations have 1 or 2 more variants.

Interesting, I have seen #5 as a variant for Hong Kong, Jersey & the Federation of Nigeria.

Wonder how many she has had in total, looking at coins for Victoria==>George VI they never had as many as her!

:ninja: Prince Phillip's great at public relations, Have I Got News For You had a list of them on the show about 10 years ago ;)

These are classics:

Pearls of Wisdom from the Dunk of Edinburgh

I do feel sorrow for HRH having to be married to a man that refers to her as "The Old Cabbage".

I go with the spinks I just think it is classic, now I am sorry to have to say this but that Di looks as though she is demented & about to bite :ninja:

;)

These are classics:

Pearls of Wisdom from the Dunk of Edinburgh

I do feel sorrow for HRH having to be married to a man that refers to her as "The Old Cabbage".

Some of them did make me laugh, not because of what he said but because I could imagine Spitting Image doing sketches involving them and mocking them with him calling the Queen "Lizzie" & she calling him "Phillie"

He truely is nuts though isn't he? I wonder how old Lizzie puts up with it ;)

Anyway looking at those images again I think I do prefer #2 over #3 after all, I have never really looked at that portrait at all in that much detail, certainly looks alot better when virtually uncirculated :ninja:

I go with the spinks I just think it is classic, now I am sorry to have to say this but that Di looks as though she is demented & about to bite :ninja:

;)

Have to agree, I always think that profiles are much better than portraits on coins, portraits just don't look right on coins (See Presidential series). On notes however the reverse applies ;)

;)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

They allready told me a hundred times I should spend a fortune on a good photo setup instead of

using my cheap scanner ;)

Maybe you prefer the knigts side ;)

Lady_DI_Let.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived