CoinPeople.com

Please help me identify this colonial

Vfox

I found this coin today behind a 200 year old house, it was down by the spring house, and completely corroded green. I cleaned it up, and used some abrasive to remove the gunk, like most colonials have had done, and this is what I got. I can make out a few letters, and appears to be colonial. But I am not sure. Please if anyone can help I'd appreciate it, it's the first old coins I've ever found. It is in very poor condition, and I guess just a cull, but I'd love to know what I found, even if it is just a half penny.

6gvs83k.jpg

54kfgom.jpg

4q57oz4.jpg

Unfortunately as bright as it is now, some of the details which could have been discernable previously are no longer present.

Always risky when cleaning coins like this, in all likelihood it is just a common 18th century British halfpenny, but there is always the infinitesimal chance that it is one of the scarcer American made evasion pieces that could be worth a bit even in deplorable shape.

It has a shield, some of the letters match, and the AE together followed by a C appears to be there. I can't say for sure, but it would be pretty cool considering the penny version is really rare, lol. Ah I can dream eh?

4ygr6fp.jpg

6ba38lg.jpg

I don't know I've look at a bunch of resources and can't figure out what it could be. It's copper, the size of a US large cent, but isn't one, and appears to have a shield with 3 III's in it, topped with something rounded, and the bottom is pointed. I don't know if it really has 3 III's in the shield, but looks kinda like it does. The pics I have on here are really bad, the coin does look nice in real life, I'll try and take better pics later.

I figured out what it is after a bunch of searching. It's a Connecticut cent, you can sorta make out the wording of INDE on the left side, and ETLIE on the right, and AUCTORI on the left of the obv, and CONNEC on the right. I know it's hard to tell, but the letters are there, not all the words are complete, so I can't really be 100% certain, but I am pretty much content with what I can tell.

Here is my coin, next to another CT I own, the one I found has larger text on the coin than the nicer one I own, but the letters are there.

4unkeon.jpg6az0kfb.jpg

4kby55j.jpg5yw9zr5.jpg

Here is a normal halfpenny to compare.

4kba6as.jpg6ba15ol.jpg

It's hard to make out, but this is where it is. These are all the letters I can make out with the coin in hand, the pics are a LOT harder to see.

4yqqyz8.jpg

6c4ugxg.jpg

Archived