CoinPeople.com

Interesting overstruck Peter I ruble

squirrel

http://cgi.ebay.de/1720-Rubel-OK-Silber_W0...1QQcmdZViewItem

Interesting overstruck Peter Ruble. Not sure whats under there. or if it was double struck. Anybody see any clues here?

Can't tell for sure, but it looks more like double struck than overstruck to me. I am judging mostly by the lettering -- looks like it was weakly struck at first (a loose die?), then rotated approx. 60-90 degrees and struck again.

Strange that anyone would start the auction so low for a coin like this if it is genuine, don't you think? :ninja:

Guys!

also wanted to ask about overdates on Russian roubles of Peter I - Anna.

Has anyone come across those lately? I have one in my collection 1732/1, but I guess this is a common one.

Any thoughts ?

Thank you in advance ,

Can't tell for sure, but it looks more like double struck than overstruck to me. I am judging mostly by the lettering -- looks like it was weakly struck at first (a loose die?), then rotated approx. 60-90 degrees and struck again.

Agreed, except that I would add that it appears that the obverse die was not aligned correclty with the reverse. The reverse double lettering is more or less in line with the second strike whereas on the obverse it is not. All in all, an interesting piece.

RWJ

"looks like it was weakly struck at first (a loose die?)"

Be careful with unwarranted speculation. Since the second strike "smashes" the first strike any conjecture as to the strength of the first strike or loose dies is just that.

Now that I took a second look, I think I see what you mean. This is merely an illusion, and both strikes could have been equally strong.

I have this 5 kopeek 1793/2-AM which has shadows of the crown and wreath -- what do you make of it?

5k, Ekaterina II -- 1793/2-AM (looks like a double strike)

I have wondered for a long time what might have caused this. Thanks for looking! :ninja:

Now that I took a second look, I think I see what you mean. This is merely an illusion, and both strikes could have been equally strong.

I have this 5 kopeek 1793/2-AM which has shadows of the crown and wreath -- what do you make of it?

5k, Ekaterina II -- 1793/2-AM (looks like a double strike)

I have wondered for a long time what might have caused this. Thanks for looking! :ninja:

VERY HEAVY strike-doubling. All devices are in normal postion with strike doubling damage at the periphery of the elements. Cause? Speculative. Could be loose dies or die holders w/ a slight planchet shift. Could be operator error allowing swing-arm to "bounce" during strike and coin got a second light hit --- this is technically a double-strike but good luck in convincing collectors that this is the cause and getting them to buy it as such.

Nonetheless a very cool coin.

By off collar, I was thinking there is a ring that keeps the coin in shape. This coin is unsually HUGE as a result from the double strike. If I remember right, this coin refused to be in a 2x2" flip whereas my other 1736 Anna ruble comfortably fitted in, just because it was too huge. In fact, I believe the diameter exceeded the 1.5ruble=10zlots when I compared it side by side a long time ago.

But nevermind, I forgot that the technology at that time was very different to present days. :ninja:

Archived