CoinPeople.com

Collecting

Tegwin

Hello,

I have been collecting coins and banknotes for some time now. on and off. I have tried to get a proof set for almost every country I have been to, not always that easy.

I have decided now, though that I would rather collect BANKNOTES instead of coins, with the exception of Proof coins from South Africa (as that is my original homeland).

I have not joined any organizations, but do you think it would be a good thing to join the British Numismatic Assn and the IBNS, and what sort of benefit would I get from this.

Also are there any coin fairs coming up in UK or Europe somewhere that I can go to if needs be.

Thanks

Chris

I have been a member of the IBNS in the past, I let my membership lapse not due to anything thing wrong with the organisation, but rather I just paid too many dues to too many organisations and there had to be cutbacks.

I do know that the Scottish chapter of the IBNS split out, and left the organisation for some reason. Like any such organisation there can be politics and differences of opin.

I have been a member of the IBNS in the past, I let my membership lapse not due to anything thing wrong with the organisation, but rather I just paid too many dues to too many organisations and there had to be cutbacks.

I do know that the Scottish chapter of the IBNS split out, and left the organisation for some reason. Like any such organisation there can be politics and differences of opin.

In the early days of collecting, collectors rely on numismatic assoication or organization to gather fellow collectors and dealers together so that they can share knowledge and trade with each other. Sometimes, these association organizes auctions and talks for their members. I am a life member of the Singapore Numismatic Association. Over the years, there were not much activities happening. I find it a waste of money especially if the association is not active.

With Internet, trading and forums are already channel for gathering of world collectors. Knowledge can be shared throught forum such as coinpeople and also personal banknote website showcasing individual collectors' collection. IBNS is a good organization. Unfortunately, it is quite expensive for me and also it does not have a local IBNS chapter in my country. :ninja:

In the early days of collecting, collectors rely on numismatic assoication or organization to gather fellow collectors and dealers together so that they can share knowledge and trade with each other. Sometimes, these association organizes auctions and talks for their members. I am a life member of the Singapore Numismatic Association. Over the years, there were not much activities happening. I find it a waste of money especially if the association is not active.

With Internet, trading and forums are already channel for gathering of world collectors. Knowledge can be shared throught forum such as coinpeople and also personal banknote website showcasing individual collectors' collection. IBNS is a good organization. Unfortunately, it is quite expensive for me and also it does not have a local IBNS chapter in my country. :ninja:

Thanks for your answers . I will probably join IBNS but not the numismatic assn. I live in the UK and I find the problem is that most collectors are from other countries or other parts of the UK, in the area I live there dont seem to be any coin shops or other collectors that I can chat to. I am about 35miles SW of LONDON and all the shops are in LONDON.

Actually why not use this forum? :ninja:

It's completely FREE ;)

Yes that is true, but I am a face-to-face person. I like to see things and chat to people in person.

Does anyone know of any Coin fairs coming up and where I might find some information on them

There are IBNS Chapters in England if you are looking for face-to-face contact with fellow collectors. They are located in Burnley, London and East Midlands. You can find information about them at the IBNS website www.theibns.org.

I realize that you are in England, but there is also a South African Chapter of IBNS. You may be able to contact some of its members for notes.

The Scottish Chapter met in Edinburgh. They still meet but are no longer affiliated with the IBNS. They ended their affiliation because most of the members collect Scottish notes and did not benefit from the broader, worldwide focus of IBNS.

The major paper money show in Europe is in Valkenburg, the Netherlands in April. The other major European paper show is the London IBNS Congress which is held in October.

There are IBNS Chapters in England if you are looking for face-to-face contact with fellow collectors. They are located in Burnley, London and East Midlands. You can find information about them at the IBNS website www.theibns.org.

I realize that you are in England, but there is also a South African Chapter of IBNS. You may be able to contact some of its members for notes.

The Scottish Chapter met in Edinburgh. They still meet but are no longer affiliated with the IBNS. They ended their affiliation because most of the members collect Scottish notes and did not benefit from the broader, worldwide focus of IBNS.

The major paper money show in Europe is in Valkenburg, the Netherlands in April. The other major European paper show is the London IBNS Congress which is held in October.

I am originally from South Africa. I have lived in England for about 10 years now, but I do spend a lot of time in SA. Can you give me the details of who to contact there. I will join the British one as well.

Archived