CoinPeople.com

Gallia Belgica Potin ca. 100-60 BCE

Scottishmoney

galliabelgicapotin.jpg

Gallia Belgica (from the Seine to the Rhine), the Remi. Cast Potin (4.13 gm, 12h, 21mm), ca. 100-60 BC. Obv.: Male figure (druid?) with hair in a long plait, running right, holding spear and torc. Rev.: Wolf (?), right, gnawing on prey; above, fibula. BMC 501 ff. DLT 8124. DT 155. Scheers 191. Very fine.

I saw one of these once and decided this is just too cute not to own one.

I bought one of those as my first Celtic coin purchase. They are common for Celtic coins, but it continues to be one of my favorite Celtic coins.

I bought one of those as my first Celtic coin purchase. They are common for Celtic coins, but it continues to be one of my favorite Celtic coins.

Either you or Jorg posted an image of one sometime ago, that was what planted the seed of my needing one.

Interesting. I'm not into this stuff (don't want to go off in too many different directions), but it would be neat to do a collection of coins of groups that existed at the same time as the Romans in a particular century.

(I have thought about doing 4th century world bronze)

Interesting. I'm not into this stuff (don't want to go off in too many different directions), but it would be neat to do a collection of coins of groups that existed at the same time as the Romans in a particular century.

(I have thought about doing 4th century world bronze)

I think the coolest contemporary non-Romans are the knockoffs produced that were produced just outside the borders of the Empire. I think they are more interesting than the Romans.

Archived