CoinPeople.com

1798 rouble -- This one looks genuine to me

bobh

I don't have this type in my collection yet -- for a long time, though, I thought it would be nice to have.

Here is what looks like a nice example, although it has some blemishes. I am hoping that the blemishes will keep the price down somewhat. Does anyone see anything else wrong with this coin? It looks authentic to me, but I have little experience with genuine coins of this type... :ninja:

Here is a link to the eBay auction: L I N K

Thank you! ;)

bobh, I used to own 5 different examples (yes, I was a fool to sell them two years back and now i'm down to three) and it seems to be genuine to me.

The only painful bit is that it's cleaned and awfully scratched, dinged.

Thanks, gxseries! :ninja:

(Want to sell me one of yours?? ;) )

Paul I's silver coins are somewhat difficult to find, and it seems that the rubles are much easier than others.

Here are what I got - not a great collection though:

1798 - 5 kopeks

915434.jpg

1798 - poltina (holed, worn, reengraved, plugged, cleaned etc but still not easy to find)

905446.jpg

1799 - Ruble (the best that I have)

901680.jpg

1800 - Ruble (worned, partially cleaned)

905448.jpg

1800 - Ruble (slightly engraved to make the biblical text enhanced)

905453.jpg

I just need the 10 kopeks and the 25 kopek to complete it. Now, the 10 kopek is quite easy to find, except it's quite pricy, and that 25 kopek... well I know it will take a few years... :ninja:

I don't have this type in my collection yet -- for a long time, though, I thought it would be nice to have.

This coin could be genuine, but it was "worked out" by polishing tools - in order to improve its eye appeal the surface was polished down to make those bumps less ugly and to uprise the lettering. I would stay away from this kind of altered coins no matter what price they are offered for.

I believe it is genuine, but suffering from a rough life. I think the design of this rouble type is quite striking. Here is my version of the 1798... [images snipped]

Beautiful! :ninja: Not too many of them around in such nice condition. Thanks for sharing the pictures here! ;)

Archived