CoinPeople.com

Opinion on 1914 d penny

billzach

I'm thinking the mintmark is too far up and left, and it looks VERY sharp compared to the wear on the rest of the coin. It just looks "off".

the 1914 d coin in my picture was indeed a fake, but it wasn,t what you see most often for sale as someone trying to pass a altered 1944 d pennyas a 1914 d ...the 1944 d penny which is most oftened used to be alterted into a 1914 d penny has or the ones i,ve seen have a dead giveaway to being fake and that is the space between the 9 and 1 being to wide because of the number 4 being alterted into a 1..i,ve seen these fakes on ebay bring a high dollar, probably the bids were from a new collector who thought they were buying a real 1914 d..but if you look at the coin i posted it doesn,t have that wide space between the 9 and 1, which would fool a new collector all the time and maybe a few older collectors part of the time..here,s the catch, a engraver like myself can move metal, not far, but a little, so after the 4 was converted to a 1, i moved it to the left which took away the wide space most fake 1944 d have..[ps] the coin i pictured was engraved on reverse very deep with the word COPY as to prevent it being sold as a real 1914 d penny...i,ve a picture of a fake 1914 d with the wide spacing between the 9 and 1, let me know if you want me to post a picture of it..

a engraver like myself can move metal, not far, but a little, so after the 4 was converted to a 1, i moved it to the left which took away the wide space most fake 1944 d have

I've done this with some of my jewelry I've made when I engrave something and its a little off. It takes longer than I'd like it to, to move the metal without leaving flow marks, but it can be done. There is also a technique I've seen done on coins that removes numbers from other coins and places them onto the surface of a Unc coin with a removed/altered date, then put into a bath to retone the coin, and finally wear it down to a flat looking Good or so. It's sometimes (if done correctly) VERY hard to tell the difference, I've almost been fooled by this method on a 1916-D mercury. Luckily you can ussually see tool marks around the numbers with a loupe, so basically, if you're buying a raw, and harder date coins....LOOK IT OVER WELL!

Thanks for sharing this with us Billzach.

The one that sbvenman showed doesn't look good either -- here's a real one -- note the shape and position of the mm.

4hvd65e.jpg

Not a great pic since I shot it through a 2X2...

as some of you have stated the mint mark is a biggest giveaway on the fake i posted , thank all of you for replys, i hope new collectors see what to look for..

As long as it really does state copy on the coin I see no problem with altering a real coin for that purpose. Now if it does not, then it's illegal and is just immoral in my opinion. But just remember, just because you know how to do something, doesn't mean you should. :ninja:

Archived