CoinPeople.com

Belgium 1 franc 1972 - Full Brockage (or not?)

belg_jos

Hello coinpeople,

I'm still quite new here, but that doesn't mean I haven't got nice coins to share with y'all :ninja:

What about this one? Found this one somewhere (don't know where anymore). Just one of those coins that ended up in my collection. It's also one that has travelled from one category to the next. My errorcoins are divided in groups, by type of error, but this one never had a real place. Now I would like to use your opinions to remove all doubt.

916237.jpg

I have this one now described as: Full Brockage on Blanc Planchet

If it would be a full brockage on a already struck coin, then there would be much more detail of the impression. Now there's only a sort of 'ghosting' type of image there.

The weight is exactly as it should too...

Help!

What is this?

Jos from Belgium

To me, it looks like a die trial, or possibly a brockage that was struck against an unstruck planchet. It is strange that it would be so crisp in detail if it were a brockage though...should be much softer in appearance. Is the coin larger in diameter that it normally would be? And, the most likely culprit, can you see any tool marks under highmagnification?

To me, it looks like a die trial, or possibly a brockage that was struck against an unstruck planchet. It is strange that it would be so crisp in detail if it were a brockage though...should be much softer in appearance. Is the coin larger in diameter that it normally would be? And, the most likely culprit, can you see any tool marks under highmagnification?

A die trial could be possible. There isn't any trace of machinery. The weight would also be much lower if a side was removed. The only damage are those quite deep scratchmarks.

916240.jpg

the other side is a closeup of the part under the chin.

The diameter is 21 mm, just like al the rest. The rim is also nicely struck, so it has to be struck in the collar.

Jos from Belgium

How would the coin look like, if 2 planchets were placed between the dies at the same time, nicely centered?

If that die is the one on the bottom, would that coin be so different from a normal coin?

It is held in the collar and a nice rim is formed.

A uniface strike could also be an option, but would that one be so damaged?

Those go immediately in collections, or am I wrong about that assumption too?

Still a lot to learn :ninja:

Jos from Belgium

Archived