CoinPeople.com

Henry VIII second coinage Groat

Hussulo

Here's a coin I bought a while ago but didn't scan until recently .

Henry VIII second coinage Groat. Laker D bust, and rose mintmark. Minted between 1526-44. My scanner isn't great there is actually more detail in hand. ie you can see all the strands of hair on his head.

http://www.omnicoin.com/coins/916202.jpg

Another beautiful hammered piece !!! :ninja:

Most of the Elizabeth and Henry VIII pieces I've seen in person (the larger denominations anyway) are split or cracked. These examples are just beautiful.

Cool, a coin from the pre "old coppernose" era. Later in the reign and early into EVI's reign coins were debased to about .233 silver and were much more coppery in appearance than silver, resulting in HVIII being referred to as "old coppernose".

Very true, the first coinage are virtually identical to Henry VII profile exept for different, mintmarks and obverse legend readin HENRIC VIII, but they still used the previous kings portrait. This second coinage is when the portrait first changed.

It is also getting harder to find a specimen that isn't split or clipped.

• 4 months later...
Guest Aidan Work

The 2nd Coinage coins of King Henry VIII is a very tough series to get represented.I have got a 1/2 Groat that has 'W' & 'A' flanking the shield.In addition,the mintname is 'CIVITAS CANTOR' (City of Canterbury).My boss bought it in a lot off a dealer at a fair a few years back.He was going to return it,just because it has a small hole in it.I told him to let me have a look at it.I said to him,"You'd be a mug to return this,as this is a very good coin.It is a coin struck at the ecclesiastical mint in Canterbury".I ended up getting this coin to fill a space in my collection.I also ended up getting the brooch-damaged 1707E Edinburgh 1/2 Crown that he had bought as well.

Aidan.

Archived