CoinPeople.com

New addition to the Morgan Dollar Series?

Dockwalliper

The Mint is considering using the Morgan dollar as the obverse for the 2007 San Francisco Commemerative Silver Dollar. If they do, Does this coin become an addition to the Morgan series?

Your sets not complete without it?

Just wondering what everyone thinks.

I wouldn't consider it necessary since it's a commem separated by 85 years from the series. Plus it might all be a moot point now anyway since the San Fran mint museum would like the Gray Lady placed on the obverse now, with old style reverses. We'll see how this plays out over the next month or so. Personally I think they'd sell a lot more coins and raise more funds for the museum with a Morgan/Coronet obverse on each of the coins, but perhaps the status of the old mint means more than money to them.

PS-this will be a 2006 issue, not a 2007 issue.

Why would you consider it a "Copy"?

It will be a 90% silver, US mint produced Morgan Dollar.

Dies could even be produced from old hubs.

If it was made with original hubs both obverse and reverse, I would consider it. But that is not possible. There were no working hubs to use in 1921, hence the difference in design on the '21's. They had to redesign new ones. Even if they use the 21 hubs, they aren't the design I prefer, the 21's even look wrong to me..... :ninja:

If you prefer the short version: Ick.

If you prefer a longer version: Even though I like the reissued Indian/Buffalo nickel design of the Bison Dollar (2001) and Double Bison (2006), that's one exception. A design from the first-issue silver coin from San Francisco (the Seated Liberty) would be a better choice, rather than a "new" Morgan, but not what I'd suggest.

If they must reissue a design, why not use something not a lot of people have seen, the silver trime design with XX in place of the III on the reverse?

Actually, when it comes down to it, I'd prefer a brand new design as opposed to a reissue, the Draped Bust Dollar w/Heraldic Eagle Reverse (1798-1804) being the other exception. How cool would that look with modern striking methods?

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Archived