CoinPeople.com

Lucky Pennies on the lose!

coinmonster

Found this posted on a non-coin forum. :ninja:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=bizarre&id=4087242

You may want to pay extra close attention to your loose change -- some small coins now in circulation could be worth big bucks.

National Coin Week starts April 16, and one coin expert hopes to spread the wealth. Scott A. Travers, coin aficionado and former vice president of the American Numismatic Association, is deliberately putting three valuable and highly coveted coins into circulation.

His method is unusual, but Travers hopes his idea will gain attention and inspire people to start their own coin collections.

Outside the Nasdaq offices in New York City, Travers dispersed the first of three coins -- all pennies -- at a food vending stand just this week: a 1914-D Lincoln cent valued at $300.

On Tuesday Travers will spend two more pennies -- a 1908-S Indian Head cent and a 1909-S VDB Lincoln Head cent valued respectively at $200 and $1,000 apiece.

So how do you know if you've got the lucky penny worth $1,000? Travers says, "On the front of the coin is the year 1909, and under the year is the mint mark "S," meaning it was minted in San Francisco. On the reverse of the coin are the designer's initials -- V.D.B. (Victor David Brenner)."

They gotta get past me first.  :ninja:

That, and I'd take a tire iron to someone who'd put an S-VDB in a penny-loafer. Although it'd be nice to be rich enough to be able to do that without worries...

Nuts. Why's all the fun stuff happen on the coasts? Us Buckeyes deserve a shot, too!

:ninja:

What? You gotta admit, someone who'd put an S-VDB in their shoe is either awful dumb, or really, amazing, astonishingly, annoyingly rich and cocky. :lol:

For $1500 it seems like you should be able to find a better way to generate publicity. Especially since these stunts really appeal most to the converts.

Guest Sasquatch
$10 says they end up in the fountain.

And besides the fountain, they might end up as roadkill, in a dumpster, corroding in the bottom of a dirty cup holder, etc, etc. Cents are practially disposable items. Hope those coins don't get the same fate that many cents get.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Mr. Travers interview on the Today Show discussing this very topic and talking about coin collecting in general. I just finished one of his books, and enjoyed it immensely. He seems like a nice guy and loves the hobby.

I hope the coins end up in someone's collection, as opposed to being lost in the sewers or something.

DM

It wasn't. He has done this before to "promote National Coin Week". I think it's more to promoe Scott Travers. Those coins do not get into general circulation. Look at it from the vendors point of view. Here are all these photographers around taking pictures and concentrating on this guy paying me for his purchase. Gee, do you thing there might be something odd about the money he used? Maybe I better have it checked out. Coin goes from Travers to circulation and right back out of circulation.

One year after he did the coin drop, one of the photograhers simply went over and bought the vendors change.

Archived