CoinPeople.com

Russo-Polish coins

gxseries

During Nikolai I's period, a very rare event occured, which made history in the numis. history of both Russia and Poland.

The first coinage of the occupied Poland goes as far back to 1815, and in around 1830, there were some Polish rebels that tried to declare their independence, however, they were crushed ruthlessly and hence, there was need of a dual denomination to remind the Polish that the Russians are there. (pretty evil isn't it?)

Polish coins

Neverthless, the Russians tried to fix the exchange rates, which is then fixed to 3 rubles to 20 zlot, 1.5 rubles to 10 zlots, and so on.

There were several denominations, which both silver and gold coins were minted. (no copper coins though)

The denominations are as following: 3 rubles-20zlot (gold), the rest are silver: 1.5 rubles-10 zlot, 3/4 rubles-5 zlot, 30 kopeks-2 zlot, 15 kopeks-1zloty minted till 1841 and after 1841, only 25 kopeks-50groszy, 20kopeks-40groszy were minted.

Both the Saint Petersburg mint (denoted as H|-) and the Warsaw mint (denoted as MW) minted the coins, but Saint Petersburg mint stopped minted in 1841, letting Warsaw to mint after 1842. Warsaw mint was later renamed to B.M. to mint copper coins after 1850.

Alas but not least, this is an example of the LARGEST silver coin ever minted in the Russian silver coin, and also the largest denomination of silver rubles (excluding trial coins :ninja: )

1.5 ruble - 10 zlot 1835

ruspol15rublefrontsmall1oh.jpg

ruspol15rublebacksmall5gs.jpg

Details:

Weight: 1 FULL ounce, or 31.1 grams (HEAVY)

Edge: SIL(VER) OF 83 1/3 STANDARD 7 ZOL(OTNIKS), 27 21/25 PAR(TS)

(post too long, will continue on the next section ;) )

(continued)

This particular coin that I have is pretty funny. Notice how the last digit "5" of the year 1835 is slanted off? It seems that a massive amount of dies were produced with the date "183", and leaving the last year to be fixed later, which probably explains the tilt.

The obverse seem to have been hinged somehow, as you can see two tiny shouldered parts on the word "DO/\EU" and "4UCTO|-O" (i'm sorry, I am a bit too lazy to type out cyrillic atm... ;)) But fortunately, there are NO major damages... ;) And also I got this coin bloody cheap too :ninja:

Nevertheless, there is an major error, if you didn't notice, which is an offstrike error. Pretty hard to find errors in this type of coin, as Russian coinage are supposed to be almost perfected at this time.

There is also an edge error, which is pretty suprising. :lol:

Here are a few super large image files for you to enjoy :cry:

Caution: Massive size pictures!

Obverse: http://img46.echo.cx/img46/785/ruspol15rublefront2vs.jpg

Reverse: http://img185.echo.cx/img185/6141/ruspol15rubleback6ey.jpg

Edge error: edgeerror1tb.jpg

See how there is a double effect after the "o"? :D

Ok, if you didn't manage to see where the error on the reverse has happened, here it is :D

http://img113.echo.cx/img113/9459/ruspol15...ighlight2mp.jpg

Hope you enjoyed it!!! ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Here's an 1836 1 Zloty/15 Kopeks with the dual denomination - reading the post and looking at the coin I had found answered the questions I had. I will keep my eye out for the 1835 with the variations in the date.

This coin is low grade but for its age still has recogizable features

Obverse - appears to be an MW

1836Poland15KopecksObv.jpg

Reverse

1836Poland15KopecksRev.jpg

Here's an 1836 1 Zloty/15 Kopeks with the dual denomination - reading the post and looking at the coin I had found answered the questions I had. I will keep my eye out for the 1835 with the variations in the date.

This coin is low grade but for its age still has recogizable features

Obverse - appears to be an MW

1836Poland15KopecksObv.jpg

Reverse

1836Poland15KopecksRev.jpg

Your coin was struck at the Warsaw ("MW") mint.

This one was struck ("НГ" for mintmaster Nicolai Grachev) at St. Petersburg:

zloty1833vh7.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hello, I've recently found a 30 kopek/2 zlote 1836 coin in excellent condition. I've no idea how to value this coin, and intend it as a gift to my father. Would you have any knowledge as to the value, or how to direct me to an appropriate, (trustworthy) site or dealer to have it appraised? Typically, I've purchased U.S. coins for his collection; we are of Polish ancestry, and I know he'll enjoy this, but we always enjoy the history....it adds to the value for us. Thank you so much.

Hello, I've recently found a 30 kopek/2 zlote 1836 coin in excellent condition. I've no idea how to value this coin, and intend it as a gift to my father. Would you have any knowledge as to the value, or how to direct me to an appropriate, (trustworthy) site or dealer to have it appraised? Typically, I've purchased U.S. coins for his collection; we are of Polish ancestry, and I know he'll enjoy this, but we always enjoy the history....it adds to the value for us. Thank you so much.

Hello Mariah and welcome to this board. :ninja:

It's difficult to make any intelligent remark about a coin that is unseen. "Excellent condition" can mean very different things to different people. A few sharp, high resolution pictures would be very helpful.

I don't know about 1836-dated examples specifically, but for the 30k/2zl coins as a type, I would guess about $300 in EF and about $700 in UNC, but as I said, those are just guestimates and might easily be wrong.

Good grief Grivna, I have not seen this post for ages and that 15kopek-1zlot of yours is a shocker! :ninja: Thanks for showing.

Mariah, like what Grivna has mentioned, excellent condition can vary from people to people, like Bluesfil example might be excellent to you as you might factor in the age but condition like his might be suprisingly cheap at times like 30USD if you are very lucky. However coin condition like Grivna's is QUITE uncommon so be prepared to pay a high price for it. I personally like the huge 1.5ruble-1zlot as this is a perfect 1 ounce monster coin. ;) (weights 0.1gram less than an troy ounce though)

Like like what Grivna said, post a picture and we can give you a better estimate. Welcome to coinpeople by the way ;)

• 5 years later...

I have a poltina / 2 zoloti 1816, 10,5 gram silver coin and 1 ruble 4 zoloti 1815 and I am a little confuzed by the fixed exchange rate. Did the exchange rate change in time? I also have a 1829 1 ruble / 4 zloti so this means sometimes in the 1830's the exchange rate changed.