CoinPeople.com

A Newly Photographed Assortment

I've been playing around with my camera and some new equipment trying to get some better photographs of my hammereds. I then decided to try it out on a few other items I have, here are some pieces of exonumia which might be of interest. If any one has some more detailed information regarding them I'd be most grateful :ninja:

I picked these two up at a local fair a few years ago, paid pittance but bought them both as I liked them and was curious to know why they differed so greatly. Anyway, enjoy...

Exo1.jpg

Exo2.jpg

Exo3.jpg

Exo4.jpg

These belonged to a relative but thought I'd post them here anyway as they are a part of history nonetheless.

Exo5.jpg

Exo6.jpg

Exo7.jpg

Exo8.jpg

Not listed in BHM but the first two have the arms of the City of London, crossed shield and in the first quarter a sword point upwards.

"The shield combines the cross of St George with the emblem of the City's patron, St Paul, who, according to tradition, was martyred by being beheaded with that weapon.

It is therefore likely that the City's shield, from its combination of the Cross of St. George with the Sword of St. Paul, was intended to symbolise England and London, its capital; the first cathedral having been dedicated to St. Paul in 605. There is no record of any grant of arms ever having been made to the City; the shield in fact, was in use a hundred years before the incorporation of the College of Arms in 1483. It is, however, recognised as authentic by the College, where the shield, without crest and supporters, is thus described:- Argent a Cross Gules in the first quarter a Sword in pale point upwards of the last"

Sorry no other info.

• 3 weeks later...
Here are some more pieces I've found.

Exo9.jpg

Exo10.jpg

This one is unlisted in BHM, but the small B & A is for Messrs Brookes & Adams who produced 5 (listed) medals BHM#'s 3227-3231 for the occasion, 3 of which used 'VICTORIA QUEEN AND EMPRESS' so possibly the same obverse as yours was used for them.

Archived