CoinPeople.com

Notgeld

Drusus

:ninja:;) Sorry but that was funny, I do like it though, reminds ne of some of the medevil gargoyls you see in old churches or a imp ;)

;)

That is the Augenroller, a sculpture or relief in the old town of Koblenz (back then spelled with a C). His eyes constantly roll to the left and the right - hence the name - and every hour or so he sticks his tongue out. This refers to an old legend about a man who was beheaded in the 16th century. Even when facing death, he made those gestures ...

There are other "Augenrollers" in Koblenz, see below. But only the one depicted above moves his eyes and his tongue. :ninja:

Kobl0005.jpg

Christian

Yeah, thanks again for the info on what it is, saves me some digging for the info, I couldnt just let it pass without knowing what the heck caused them to depict such a strange thing on a coin.

That is the Augenroller, a sculpture or relief in the old town of Koblenz (back then spelled with a C). His eyes constantly roll to the left and the right - hence the name - and every hour or so he sticks his tongue out. This refers to an old legend about a man who was beheaded in the 16th century. Even when facing death, he made those gestures ...

There are other "Augenrollers" in Koblenz, see below. But only the one depicted above moves his eyes and his tongue. :ninja:

Kobl0005.jpg

Christian

Thanks, Tabbs!

Its iron...photo color is off...had a bit of difficulty getting the detail I wanted so I brightened it a bit. I need to reshoot it befor eI post it on my site...the color look more like this:

stadtduren.jpg

okay, I corrected the color...its closer to how it looks in hand now :ninja: sorry, just got a new camera and I am still diddling with it...

2-3 years ago I've discovered the beauty of German notmunzen, all of them are from a bitter period of a great people, and in despite of the low value most of them have great designs!

I agree...many are, in my humble opinion, true works of art...to me its one of the most interesting areas of numismatic history...right behind Roman :ninja:

Its iron...photo color is off...had a bit of difficulty getting the detail I wanted so I brightened it a bit. I need to reshoot it befor eI post it on my site...the color look more like this:

stadtduren.jpg

I just got one of those off of Ebay, not in as good condition as yours but it'll be interesting to compare different grades :ninja:

Notgeld means 'emergency money' and there are many countries that had notgeld, by far the most are from Germany and Austria because of WWI an II.

by far the most are from Germany and Austria because of WWI an II.

France and Romania are other countries with thousands tokens issued to compensate the lack of change.

Is the idea that they used other metals to produce them?

usualy...that or paper and sometimes other materials other than paper like cloth...

Notgeld means 'emergency money' and there are many countries that had notgeld, by far the most are from Germany and Austria because of WWI an II.

In 20c Germany, notgeld was used between WW1 and 1923, first because of the lack of change, then because of the hyperinflation. The situation at the end of WW2 was quite different, and notgeld was not really used then. (Unless you count cigarettes and agricultural produce as not"geld".) Italy also used tokens that can be considered notgeld, even in the 1970s ...

Christian

There are several different catalogs but the cheapest would be World Notgeld 1914-1947 (and other local issue emergency money) by Courtney L. Coffing. Though it doesnt have a lot of info...it is more like a checklist of notgeld from each country city, town, etc...it has a 13,000 entries.

few others would be:

EMERGENCY COINS OF GERMANY by R. Upton - catalog of German Notgeld coins (1915-1923)

CATALOG OF GERMAN WAR TOKENS. by Robert Lamb

DEUTSCHES NOTGELD - SERIENSCHEINE BAND 1 & 2 - 2nd Edition. - - Hans Grabowski, Manfred Mehl - (in German) 896 pages, 1479 catalog numbers with subnumbers and/or letters - more than 4400 color illustration, pricing.

HAMBURGER PAPIERGELD 1800 - 1950 - Lindman-Stolzenberg-Kirstein- Hardcover-216 Pages, Color Illustrations of Rare Seldom Seen Notes - Coverage from the French Revolution to 1950.

There are quite a few but many are in german :ninja:

Christian, I figured since they have listings of notgeld up to at least 1947, that would include WWII.

Archived