CoinPeople.com

Melbourne, FL Coin show report

Dan769

OK, I've been itchin to go and it finally came. It was nicely attended with about 20-30 dealers with 60+ tables. The buying crowd was good too, had to fight for table look early in the show.

Sadly though I was incredibly hard pressed to find anything for my type set. While there was a good variety of coins, it seemed they were either UNC and slabbed, some raw, or very low grade and/or cleaned/damaged. I noticed a few dealers were asking nonstop if anyone had anything to sell.

It seemed as if fresh material was in very short supply. In fact I couldn't find one accurately graded XF type 2 Standing Liberty Quarter. I've been looking to upgrade that, but not today.

I did manage to upgrade my 1853 Arrows & Rays Half even tho it didn't need it.

i just love this design and I'll buy a decent one every chance I get, half, quarter, dime it doesn't matter. I picked this PCGS VF 35 for $105:

gallery_70_30_27209.jpggallery_70_30_22876.jpg

On to the one big world coin dealer I scooped up a bunch of Panama & Portuguese coins for $12. I just love the Balboa design and something about a 2 1/2 cent coin I couldn't resist.

gallery_70_30_9193.jpggallery_70_30_1809.jpg

So i left with a bunch of $$$ still in my pocket, so it's off to the web sites tonite.

Not a bad show, just seemed like the good mid grade stuff wasn't there. Oh and strangely my 2 favorite dealers were also not there :ninja:

Sounds like what I've been hearing about a lot of shows and even the biggie shows. The mid-range stuff just isn't showing up. Probably because that's what so many people collect.

Nice buys. I esp. like the half. :ninja: