CoinPeople.com

Help me!

Mortyr2012

I almost didn't recognize it with the standards upside down.

Orientation is often the hardest part of attributing low grade ancients.

Orientation is often the hardest part of attributing low grade ancients.

Hope i've caught you on a roll here Jorg. :ninja:

Any ideas with regards to this one.........?

I think it may be a bronze tet of Vabalathus but i'm just not sure. It's 4mm thick with a 20mm diameter.

911559.jpg

Ian, I believe you are correct.

It would appear to be a billon tetradrachm of Alexandria, struck in year 5 (L E)of Vabalthanus and year 2 (L :ninja: Aurelian. So late in 271 or Spring of 272. The type is Sear 11721

Vabalathus

Ian, I believe you are correct.

It would appear to be a billon tetradrachm of Alexandria, struck in year 5 (L E)of Vabalthanus and year 2 (L :lol: Aurelian.  So late in 271 or Spring of 272.  The type is Sear 11721

Vabalathus

Thanks for that Jorg. I'm still using my not so trusty 4th edition (1988) of sears `Roman Coins and Their Values' and it's not exactly as comprehensive as modern editons :ninja:. It does list a billon tet of Alexandria but if that one of mine is `billon' then billon coins must just have been shown what silver looks like in the passing. I'm pretty sure there ain't no silver aspect to the make up of that coin...inside or out. :cry:

I was initially thrown by the portraits. Although the legend reads `Vaballathos', the portrait looks more like Zenobia (his mother) than the protraits i've seen of Vabalathus. I had wondered if it wasn't one of Aurelian's provincials commemorating her capture and her being taken to Rome however, the link you provided seems to have clarified the portraits aspect.

However, given that (according to my Sears) it was supposed to be billon (and it's not) I thought the probabilities were that it was a fake. ....and a good one!

The link seems to indicate that its genuine.

Ian

(whew!)

Archived